BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - new to the forum - so hopefully I am posting this in the correct place.

I have a 2008 f650gs twin with c42k miles on the clock, I have owned for a bout a year now, it had partial service history, but I took it to a main dealer after purchasing for a full service. It’s been a really good ride for about for almost exactly a year, I have probably covered around 2k miles as an almost daily rider. Regular Oil checks etc, chain tension and pretty good regular maintenance.

Recently - on a long dual carriageway ride I noticed that during acceleration for an overtake I had no more power at around 60 - 70mph, I know this bike well and have done a lot of motorways miles so I know it’s usually still got buckets to give all the up to 90 if required - after several seconds off continuing to
adjust the throttle input - I got the pick up again and all good and I pick up the acceleration again, not a sudden surge just ‘back on track’.

I experienced exactly the same thing again several times at around 70mph and noted no noticeable increase in revs just like as if were an new-school ride-by-wire that glitched out, and then same again after 5 - 10 seconds and back on the acceleration curve (again on a motorway overtake).

Subsequently I have been easily and smoothly reaching high speeds with no issue at all and happily cruising with still more power available for overtakes at motorway speeds.

I have tried the following: fuel additives (water removal and injector cleaners), checked chain / sprockets and tension, tyre pressures, oil level, throttle cable play, clutch cable play - all are spot on as per the manual.

At low speeds all it’s fine moving up through the gears and plenty of pull away from lights etc, also the issue occurs at warm and hot operating temps (i.e. 2 bars on the temp gauge and 3).

And yet the issue persists - I have it booked into a decent local indy for a check-up (although I doubt they have the diagnostic tool) but I wonder if any members have other ideas on what to check next, or have had similar experiences and hopefully resolutions.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had a similar experience - bike sometimes momentarily losing power when hard on the throttle at higher revs. Gave me a few bum-squeak moments overtaking on the motorway.
Took ages to find - changed timing sensor, fuel filter/pressure reg, battery, checked loads of wiring, etc but turned out to be failing side stand switch. I guess it didn't like the increased vibes at speed and gave a poor connection.

Maybe not quite the same as your problem - if you've still go some power - but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Buzz, useful to know - I don’t think it’s that as the engine continues to ‘run’ just no more acceleration. It’s in with the Indy right now actually for a full check, I am starting to thinks it’s a fuel pump issue so they will start there - will update here with any findings - thanks again for the response Buzz much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts