BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm in the middle of stripping my funduro down to replace the carb manifold. (no mean feat in this weather). I have got the airbox out and am planning to remove the carbs tomorrow to replace the manifold.
I can't see if there is a gasket between the engine and the manifold. It doesn't look like it but I could be wrong.
Does anyone know if its there?
If not I was thinking of adding instant gasket but am not sure if it may block the ports a bit?
Also is there any thing I should do to the carbs whilst I'm in the area?

All advice welcome

Liam
96 :riding: Funduro 43000

·
Registered
32 Posts
The inlet manifold is a rubber moulding and there is no need for a gasket. Always good to drop the float bowls and check for debris also check that the needles are set at the same height. Out of interest my Funduro was bought with a known cold start problem - I found that the manifold had split on one of the the inboard sides unknown to the previous owner, I also found that in an attempt to get the machine to run something like it should the float levels had been set high and one of the slide needles had been raised to get the mixture near right - the things people do!
As far as the split manifold was concerned it had split on a mould line. After degreasing it I superglued the split together and wrapped it with self amalgamating tape - jobs a good un

·
Registered
769 Posts
You can use a smear on the manifold to head face. don't use too much - just a very thin smear.
Good advice on the carbs, give 'em a good seeing to whilst they're off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Got it done saturday morning. Carbs were clean?!? So I'm happy with that. Hardest bit was getting the airbox to join the carbs. I eventualy got them on with the aid of some allen keys to pull the rubbers round. Bike still pops and farts on the overrun but I can live with that. (Hopefully Lothian and Borders finest can too) :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts