BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. On the east coast where the beaches are. Having an issue with the main 20 amp fuse shorting out when turning the key. Pretty sure the issue is in the kill switch or the relay in the ignition. Has anyone dealt with this issue?
Thank you in advance hoping to be back on the road for summer.
-J

·
Registered
86 Posts
HI Justin, what bike have you got?
There have been many issues with chafing of the wiring loom on the GS bikes that could cause that.
First thing to do though is to unplug things and see if you can trace what it causing the problems.
The first thing I would do is to
Unplug the Regulator/Rectifier, see if that stops the fuse blowing.
Let us know what bike you actually have and we can give more suggestions
Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does your bike have heated grips. If it does unplug them and see if that stops the fuse blowing.
Take the switch block apart on the side with the kill switch and make sure that there is not a loose wire in there.
See if the fuse blows with the switch block sitting loose.
Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Justin, here is a wiring diagram of the bike, I don't know if you can read them but they help.
I would now start moving the wiring loom about, especially around the headstock and see if you can see any chafing on it.
Rectangle Product Font Schematic Circuit component

If you follow the Red/White wire from the fuse on the diagram then it goes to the ignition switch that has 3 functions.
1 switches power to the heated grips or the socket if you have no grip heaters.
2 sends power back to the 15 amp fuse and the 7.5 amp fuse to run the rest of the bike
3 is for power to the parking lights.
Try taking the 7.5 amp fuse . out and see if that makes a difference
Then also take the 15 amp fuse out and see if that helps.
Isolating the problem means lots of mucking about.
If the 20 amp fuse still blows then you are looking for a short in the loom or a wire that has come adrift in the ignition switch.
good luck
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts