BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was introduced to the site by my son 'Jason the dog' who is a proud F650GS single owner, whereas I have been the more traditionalist with an 850R and then 1150R. Both fabulous bikes but I sold them on as I simply never got time to ride them and do them justice, and I found them pretty heavy.
I am riding a Sym 2501i scooter just now (no don't laugh) it is a great piece of kit which I use for commuting the 3 miles to work and back with my wife sometimes as pillion. It does the trick nicely and has loads of space to store gear and helmet safely. But I have this hankering for another bike (I honestly think its in the blood) so am having a debate with myself about my next bike. I would love a 1200GS but at 5'9 I think its just a bit too big and heavy - great once you are on the move but a pain to shift in and out of the garage etc? So do I go for the F650 single like my son or the newer 650 twin? The only thing I dislike about the single is its jerkiness in traffic, cured only (I found) by constant slipping of the clutch whereas I would imagine that the twin is slightly smoother? I'd be grateful for any advice though?
A typical ride out for me would be an afternoon buzzing around the roads of Derbyshire, though I am hoping to venture further afield next summer.

Cheers
Hcuzz:wave:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hello

Welcome to the forum. I have a 650 single and you are correct they are not the best for town work as the engine doesn't like to be below 3000rpm. Never having tried the twin (my mate has one but I've not ridden it) I cant comment but Im sure that someone will be along soon to advise.

Try posting the question on the section for twins.

ZD

·
Registered
998 Posts
A typical ride out for me would be an afternoon buzzing around the roads of Derbyshire, though I am hoping to venture further afield next summer.
Cheers
Hcuzz:wave:
Those roads were made for lightweight bikes. I was buzzing the other side of the hills last Thursday. The CS is a joy round the endless chicanes.

But "further afield" I can't comment, not had mine long enough. Though 70 miles to Southport last Sunday, in the sunshine was very comfortable.

First gear on mine is so low I've not noticed any real problems in traffic.

My guess is that if the new twins are much heavier then the old one wins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea

Thanks, I had never thought of asking for a test ride, no harm in trying though.

Cheers
Hcuzz

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome to the site, there are a great bunch of people here, with really good advice.
I have both singe and twin 650's. The twin is now used in UK for road use, and the single in Spain,:cool: where it is used for on and light off road use. I took the twin to Spain last summer, but found the power delivery a bit "sharp" for off road. At that time I also took it to Jerez, and back, and with a Sargent seat fitted, found it comfortable on a long ( 4 1/2 hours) run. The single, off road is far better, but for longer, on road riding, the twin wins the day. I am short, 5" 7', and 61 years old. I found the twin, although very manageable, a little tall, but if all tarmac riding is your preference, then I would opt for the twin, with a more comfy seat!! If you fancy an adventure then the single is a better bet.
I also agree, take the test ride, there are many options available for seat heights etc, but of the twins, the 650 GS is better than the 800 GS, my humble opinion!
Enjoy looking! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys

I will pop into Rainbow, who are my nearest dealers and see if I can get a test ride on the twin. Will let you know how I get on!:dance:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its twins....

HI, I took your advice and both my son (Jason the dog) and I took ourselves off to Rainbow where they were only too happy to let the pair of us loose on an F650GS twin and an 800R! All I can say is Wow!!!

Both are superb bikes, my preference was definitely for the F650 whereas my son much preferred the 800R - funny how it works isn't it, must be cos he's that much younger and prefers the slightly more aggressive riding position of the 800.

Interestingly, compared to his f650GS single, the twin is much smoother but he reckons it doesn't handle quite as well as the single? It handles extremely well nonetheless.

So I am now looking for a low mileage F650 twin - will post again when I have secured one, possibly from the dealer, but ideally private as they are (let's be honest) slightly cheaper, admittedly without the fall back of the :riding:dealer's warranty, though a one year old bike will presumably still have the balance of the BMW warranty.

Cheers
Hcuzz

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome

Hello hcuzz ,
Welcome to the forum , hope you find a bike soon at least for the spring . I also had a scooter a 400 burgman and found it an excellent machine and so handy . Still prefer the bmw single though except in heavy rain or cold where the burgman was very hard to beat .
Still prefer the smaller single though for putting in the garage , it is much more manouverable than any of the large boxers etc . All depends on your needs .
johnny R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts