BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I pick the collectives brains and try and sort out a problem with the electrics on a 2004 model 650GS please.

LAsat night while riding the bike the instrument panel went dead, engine still running, headlights working but no speed, revs warning lights or indicators.

Found that a 7.5 amp fuse had blown, replaced it and the panel came back for about 10 seconds before it blew again and from then on the fuse blows as soon as the key is turned.

On looking at a copy of the BMW workshop manual the layout of te fuse box is different from the bikes which has 8 fuses banked in two rows as follows looking left to right:

4 7.5 7.5 15
4 7.5 7.5 10

The fuse blowing is the one in red above.

Can anyone confirm what parts this fuse covers so I can try and eliminate them from the equation (have disconnected headlight, indicators and instrument panel so far but no luck :wall: )

Also any suggestions in tracking down the problem? I've had a look at the FAQ before you ask. :doh:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like that is the case, I've tracked down what the fuse covers:

Insrument lights and consule, indicators, rear brake light and OE plug.

As the indicators and brake light are not fed full time and the fuse blows when the ignition is turned on I've eliminated them, the instruments have been disconnected so the panel is OK, currently looks like a case of checking the loom and finding a short.

No recent changes that I'm aware of, the bikes a new addition to the stable for the other half.

Any idea what the OE plug is or where it is located?
:doh:

·
Registered
334 Posts
The OE plug is the socket found on the left hand side attached to the frame tube, just in front of the seat.

Here's a thought - no warranty implied:-

The father of a girlfriend of mine from way back told me how he was taught a lesson as an apprentice in the electricity supply industry before it was nationalised. He and the guy he was working with were sent to a block of flats where the lift was blowing a fuse. Some other "less experienced engineers had already looked but couldn't find what was blowing the fuse. They just put in a new one and watched it blow. This guy stuck a spanner across the fuse contacts and turned on the power. He waited a few seconds and smoke started to appear form some motor windings. "There's the fault" he said, turned off the power and packed away his spanner.

Your choice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.