BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Was given a 1995 F650 Funduro which I’m hoping to restore.

Hasn’t moved in 12 years I believe. Had been living outside under a cover that whole time. Only has 20,000 miles on it.

Bodywork and frame in reasonable condition. Even the tires were fully inflated!! Came with full pannier kit with BMW side panniers (even has IMMACULATE internal BMW luggage bags). Top box is a Nonfango. Scotoiler also fitted.
Previous owner said there was a carb problem but he was too unwell to fix it. No worries there.

Some sections are in a sorry state of repair and I will need a bit of advice as I go along. Biggest concern at the moment are the wheels. A lot of powdery corrosion around the hubs. Not sure if that can be painted. Suspect they’ll need replaced.

So waiting for a new battery to see where we are! Slowly stripping. Loving how accessible and simple the bike is compared to some I’ve worked on.

looking forward to chatting.
Ride safe.

Other bikes:
Honda Cbf1000a 2007 (81000m).
Triumph Thruxton TFC

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have fun with the bike Phil. I am sure there are ways to clean powdery oxidisation off without replacing the wheels and hubs. Have a look at the internet, I would think that maybe some vinegar sprayed on would be worth a try.
Carburettors are a bit of a mongrel to get off but if you pry the inlet rubbers off first then wiggle the carbs about you can get them off without all the trouble of taking the airbox out.
Check the airbox for unwanted guests, the airboxes make great mouse nests. Probably not good to start it until you check in there.
Just take the side cover off and there is a small cover near the battery that comes off to change the air filter. Have a good look there first.
Good luck
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have fun with the bike Phil. I am sure there are ways to clean powdery oxidisation off without replacing the wheels and hubs. Have a look at the internet, I would think that maybe some vinegar sprayed on would be worth a try.
Carburettors are a bit of a mongrel to get off but if you pry the inlet rubbers off first then wiggle the carbs about you can get them off without all the trouble of taking the airbox out.
Check the airbox for unwanted guests, the airboxes make great mouse nests. Probably not good to start it until you check in there.
Just take the side cover off and there is a small cover near the battery that comes off to change the air filter. Have a good look there first.
Good luck
Pete
thanks for the advice! Vinegar is a new one - I’ll give that a go.
Joined the Facebook page. Other members have had a similar corrosion problem with engine/drive casings and appears sandblasting and alloy primer has worked.
So there may be a “moose loose aboot ma hoose”. Lol. I’ll give that a check BEFORE starting then. All needs done anyway.

THE only weird (to me) thing so far on the bike - and it’s caught me out a few times - is the side stand being sprung! Moving it about I’ve been on the wrong side of it on occasion and had to balance it and get back on it. Fortunately the bike is very light! Lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Having a side stand spring is good in some ways. Way back in the 1970s I had an R60/5 Bmw, the side stand on those locked itself down. I stopped to put rain gear on and forgot to kick it up. Went a kilometre or so then came to a left corner. The stand stayed down and acted like a skid that prevented me going round the corner. So fortunately there was not much traffic so across a couple of lanes then hit the median strip. I did not want to go over it as there were cars coming the other way, so I hit the back brake and laid it down. It was comical really as I ended up jumping off the bike running along next to it until it stopped sliding along the median strip.
That corner was a jinx really, also had a flat tyre with a 3 inch nail in the back tyre there too one time.
So just get used to the spring, it is better than having a training wheel device that won't let you go around corners.
On the vinegar, I think it was Hannibal who used apple cider vinegar to dissolve rocks to make a road over some mountains , so he could invade some poor country.
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not good! 1995 is the oldest bike I’ve had. The others have all had side stand switches. So no going into first until side stand up- for the very reasons you are describing! 😂

At least all ok and you kept riding!

I’ll get used it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts