BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a "new toy" after having owned about a dozen motorcycles over the last 30 years, ranging from a 125cc motorscooter to a 1500cc Honda Goldwing and a lot of stuff in between that. Currently I only have 3... (a 125CC Yamaha YS from 2019, a Kawasaki KZ250A from 1980 caféracer and a 2004 Yamaha Dragstar XVS 650)

The F650 ST looks like a nice "thumper bike" for a short commute and some fun in the weekends, so I'll be taking a 97 model out for a quick spin and test ride tonight.
If it turns out OK, I'll just buy it and see what happens.... I have read very positive reviews and comments so far and can't wait to get on that bike .

If so, pictures and posts (and questions) will surely be posted to follow up on this post.

Greetz to all of you from Belgium
Dani(ël), 55 y.o. electro-mechanical engineer and seasoned IT pro

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good luck with the new bike Dani. Hopefully it has been ridden plenty and doesn't need much work. Then engines are great but things like carburettor diaphrams and O rings need attention after a while.
Check the bearings in the swingarms and suspension linkages for wear while you are looking at it.
Just put in on the stand and grab the back wheel and lift it up, then move it side to side to check for play.
I think the 97 model was when they changed the countershaft to include a nut to hold the sprocket on, if that is the case they you are lucky there. The original 93 to 96 bikes had only a circlip to hold the front sprocket on, and with a bit of wear over time the sprockets could come off easily by themselves.
Have fun
Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and tips, Pete.
I will definitely look in to that.
It has "low" mileage for a 1997 (37k km) bur has been used regularly and well taken care of by previoius owner and it will get a thorough check up once I get it home .
Have a Grrat day !!!
PS : the plan for now is a gemporary Plasti-Dip in matt black... But that can change over time.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Know the feeling when you are waitin after making the decision to get one , enjoy your first ride, have fun,

Reactions: Dani-BE

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like good work Dani. There are times I would love one of those vinyl cutters. I see so many road signs that I would love to change just for fun.
Enjoy the bike
Pete

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you change the fork seals then, just take one to a bearing or japanese bike shop and get new ones. BMW charge way too much and as the forks are metric anyway, seals from a japanese bike work great. I got mine from a Suzuki shop when I changed them.
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts