BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that I can see a blue wire through the rapidly decreasing rubber on my left handle-bar grip. I presume the wire is part of the heated handle-bar thingy.

Will I only have to replace the rubber grip or does the heating part come as an integral package? :?

Any suggestions/help appreciated.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
That is a good question. Mine are showing distinct signs of wear in just two years & 12,500 miles.

Does this mean I'm heavy handed?

G

·
Time to replace the bike Lisa :dance:

Like the millionaire who bought a new Rolls-Royce when his ashtrays were full :doh:

Seriously though ... I just wrapped and glued some more thin rubber over the bars on mine and wired it on, till that wore away, then I did the same again. It lasted about a year each time, but it worked, so it saved me a headache and some ££'s.

G

·
Ooooh, what bike shall I buy instead??? I know, another F650GS!

I will get my trusty gaffer tape out - then my handlebars will match the emergency mending (still there after 6 months) on my bike trousers. Cable ties and gaffer tape are all a girl needs in her tool kit.

Thanks guys

P.S. Trevor - hope you are well and enjoying life. It seems so long since the DIY day now.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Anonymous said:
Ooooh, what bike shall I buy instead??? I know, another F650GS!

I will get my trusty gaffer tape out - then my handlebars will match the emergency mending (still there after 6 months) on my bike trousers. Cable ties and gaffer tape are all a girl needs in her tool kit.

Thanks guys

P.S. Trevor - hope you are well and enjoying life. It seems so long since the DIY day now.
Gaffer tape will be fine until you turn up the heat on the grips :doh: then it could get a bit messy :uhoh: .

Trevor's "a thin bit of rubber" sounds like a few pieces of old inner tube to me :dance: held on with impact adhesive.

:riding:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point noted, thanks for that.

I have an abundance of rubber gloves knocking around home - they could make an interesting repair. Or my rubber 'stoofer' glove puppet from Harry Hill's last tour ....

The possibilities are endless!

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Two views of the same subject from different angles.

I think of old inner tubes.

You think of rubber gloves & puppets.

Now I cannot get the image out of my head of a GS with grips repaired with Pink Marigold washing up gloves... :think: ...maybe it's the smell of the glue. :big grin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
There must be some very tight gripping people out there, have just completed 51,000 mls and my grips are not really showing a great deal of wear, loosen up everybody, robs.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
robs said:
There must be some very tight gripping people out there, have just completed 51,000 mls and my grips are not really showing a great deal of wear, loosen up everybody, robs.
I think it has more to do with the soft rubber now being used on thr grips, as I have seen many older BMWs with original grips in good condition after many miles.

The newer models do feel very soft to the touch :whistle:

:big grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replacing hand grips on my 2001F650 GS with factory heated grips. The previous owner had fitted large foam grips which found uncomfortable. After removing the LH grip the original grip was still in place but badly damaged and in need of replacement. The RH grip was ok with only slight wear. The left grip was easily removed without damaging the heating element. The wire element was loose and required a small amount tightening.

Factory replacement grips are too costly so I purchased an aftermarket set from UK which were advertised as suitable for a wide range BMW bikes. There is a catch, the grips come in pairs, one grip has a larger internal diameter than the other. My guess in the grips are suitable for bikes without heated grips and the larger of the two is suitable for the RH throttle side.
No worries the larger grip was suitable for my LH heated bar.

I found two methods of fitting a new grip without chance of damaging the heating wiring. Both methods recommend using small dabs of super glue to hold the element in place whilst the grip was pushed on.

The method I used was to slightly spray the handle bar ( element etc) with WD 40 and also spray the internal part of the new grip then fit. Only relatively light force is required. The WD 40 dries overnight and gives a good seal.

The other method is those who have access to an air compressor. With the grip positioned over lapping the end of the bar apply gentle air pressure with a suitable attachment. The grip will inflate and easily slide into position. A compressed air fitting where the narrow end tube removed and the body with the trigger should be wide enough the seal the rear end of the grip.

If anyone would like photos, I am happy to provide. What am I doing with the small section grip? saving it for my old R60/6.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts