BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
pedantic, interfering git
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just spent what seems like far too long changing the lamp in my 2006 GS I've found that the headlamp unit seems a bit loose and rocks up and down slightly. Before I waste yet another day or two dismantling everything, can anyone tell me if this is normal? If I need to investigate further, any tips on how to get in there with minimal dismantling and faffification?

cheers

Ross

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
to me, it seems the main holding screws for the head light fairing are the two that go either side of the tank panel, underneath at the front, check these are tight enough all the rest just attaches to the frame round the headlight and instruments

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
to me, it seems the main holding screws for the head light fairing are the two that go either side of the tank panel, underneath at the front, check these are tight enough all the rest just attaches to the frame round the headlight and instruments
Thanks Joderest. It's not the fairing, it's the headlight itself. All the fairing panel screws are tight. I'm wondering whether the head-light alignment screws might be something to do with it. Maybe if it's been adjusted past a certain point, the light gets loose.

I can't get my cd manual to work at the moment, so I'm not sure which bits to undo to get in there. Do I undo the tank panels, indicator panels and then what's next?. Is there a way of just removing the instrument cluster on its own?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 3 adjustment screws turn in little plastic ball type things that are held in the plastic headlight surround by clips. They come loose and the light flops around. Sometimes they can be held in place with zip ties or glue. It's a crap design prone to failure. If your black plastic surround is still intact you can replace the clips. They look like this....
image.jpg

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 3 adjustment screws turn in little plastic ball type things that are held in the plastic headlight surround by clips. They come loose and the light flops around. Sometimes they can be held in place with zip ties or glue. It's a crap design prone to failure. If your black plastic surround is still intact you can replace the clips. They look like this....
View attachment 15730
Thanks Pete, I might leave that till I've got the will-power:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI Pete I know this on an old thread but maybe you can help, i have the three new plastic bushings but and wanting to know how to install them.

do i push them into the surround first and if so how far? as there seems to be a lip which might hold them into the surround, but if i push them that far will the adjuster screw ballheads still push in

do i leave them just short of the lip and push them in with the headlight or do i just push them in with the headlight itself. not rocket science but its taken me a week to get the new bushings and now i dont wabt to lockthem in and nit get them out prematurely. Thanks my friend if you can help, if not dont worry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts