BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 f650 funduro, if i use the switch that you have to hold, the high beams work, but the low light and high beam switch doesn't! the lowbeam light doesn't work at all. i opened the switch and it's fine, where else could the issue lie?

·
Registered
18 Posts
1997 f650 funduro, if i use the switch that you have to hold, the high beams work, but the low light and high beam switch doesn't! the lowbeam light doesn't work at all. i opened the switch and it's fine, where else could the issue lie?
The headlight switch has 2 power sources. The flash to pass position gets it's power separate from the normal high/low section. Check for blown 15 amp fuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it's not the fuse I suggest checking for heat damage to the wiring at the lights. Take pictures of the wiring for reference later. You may have to unplug and remove the light assemble to inspect the wiring and the metal parts in the housing where the bulbs fit. Inspect the wire springs that hold the bulbs in for heat fatigue. If they are loose you can try putting the curved bend back into them. If they don't hold the light in firmly they cause heat. I have replaced them with some spring steel bent to shape before. Rewire any damaged.wires with stranded copper wires and solder and shrink wrapped connections. Replace connectors if damaged. I have done this on several F650CS bikes and solved similar problems as you report.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dont forget right hand side switch could be issue you need to trace power from that to the left first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts