BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post a selection of good quality off road routes in the UK and particularly in Scotland (where green laning routes are for some reason somewhat frowned upon)?

Perhaps some of you may know of good published guides for this type of riding already available?

I'm trying to collate as many interesting routes as I can for the purpose of touring away from the black top? :-D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think Netwarrior has a good idea here. I'm also looking for good routes in the Yorkshire Area that get me off road.

Why don't people log there best routes for all to enjoy.

SHOTROCK

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
to be honest id be lothed to post up routes on a public forum , the number of legal routes is dwindling fast :-( , best bet as wilber said is to join the trf or find fellow members local to you who know where the legal rights of way are :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
michael d said:
to be honest id be lothed to post up routes on a public forum , the number of legal routes is dwindling fast :-(
Surely, there's power in numbers then? The more people who use legal routes the greater the voice in preventing motorcyclist using them. That's exactly what's happened up here in Scotland.

Your'e not telling me with the volume of forestry commission vehicles, keepers using Argo cats and Quads and estate land rovers do any more damage than properly controlled motorcycle access would.

The danger lies in a select group of bikers keeping routes secret which only takes one idiot to go churning up the ground, disturbing game birds and wildlife etc. to result in a wider blanket ban for everyone :?

I'll try and locate the TRF as you suggested though?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The corrieyairick pass has been used by 4x4 for years (its a route between fort augustus and Lagan on the A 86. However part of the road is missing and it is used by a lot of walkers and mountain bikers, so beware of the scowls! There,s a good map of the route with description here http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/routes/whatmtb/corrieyairack.html

The other route I know of is a public road near St Mary's Loch. on the A708. If you head up the road past Tibbie Shiels Pub, it becomes part of the Southern Upland way. There are gates, and it it is very mossy. It emenges at B709. As far as I know it is a public road but neglected by Borders Council.

It's the usual usual story though with all these routes. You will undoubtedly meet with some opposition telling you you shouldn't be there, whilst they have every right to be there, of course.

Try some 4x4 sites as they often have littele secret routes!

Pemif

G

·
pemif said:
Try some 4x4 sites as they often have littele secret routes!
Pemif
Thanks for having the courage to post that route. I'm sure ther'll be no mass exodus onto these routes as has been indicated and I hope it encourages more people to do likewise.

Do you happen to know if 4x4 routes are published anywhere? Also, does naybody happen to know the legal position under the new Scottish countryside access legislation? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts