BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a slight altercation with a motorist who decided he would drive about 3 metres off my back wheel at 40 miles an hour !

I just pulled the lever to show my brake light ( didn't brake ) and he braked sharply and then dissapeared backwards into the distance.

He pulled up next to me at the lights screaming at me because he had 2 panes of glass on the back seat one of which I ( me ) had just smashed ! :-D :dance:

When I told him that he shouldn't have been so close to me he shouted something along the lines of ' I've got a 1200 ' something or other and that ' I was a [email protected] and I should get a proper bike ! '

I calmly replied ' If you ride a bike and you drive a car like that you should have you licence taken away ! '

Lights turn to green and I went on my way !

What is a proper bike then ?

·
Compulsive Farckler
425 Posts
One with you on it, riding sensibly.

Good on you for not loosing it like the "pane" in the car.

As has been said before - "he who looses temper, looses the argument"
Confucus or somebody.

SteveT

:cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"he who looses temper, looses the argument"
Wish I had heard that in my youth ! ?

But would I have listened !

·
Registered
714 Posts
Obviously John L is right with Honda C90, as it is still the most common bike in the world. But any vehicle with an engine and two wheels is a proper bike, surely ? I include Scooters in that because its all two wheeling. We just have different bikes for different pleasures.
Many of us have more than one (ooer ;) ) Like I have the Scarver for commuting and "donkey work" and the V-Strom for more serious play/long distances, and both are great at what they do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I borrowed my neighbours chinese 125cc commuter thing the other day. I did a round trip of 40 miles nipping into chelmsford and darting through the traffic.

Tremendous fun, loved it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Was going to do a cross continental on a C90 at some point...anyway I would have done the same thing with the tailgater. When driving the car I turn my lights on, it gets a good reaction too :)

Seriously though, I cant see many sensible "bikers" tailgating and by bikers I dont mean the weekend variety.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The poor bloke is probably having to use his toilet next to a polythene sheet as I write this :mrgreen:

My mate does Enduros on a Cub ! Looks like a good laugh !

Just cos you can buy a bike doesn't mean you can ride safe.

It scares me that my Dad has a full bike license and he is allowed to ride any bike he chooses, even though he has not ridden on the road for 30 years ?!

G

·
He might well have a 1200 but I bet he couldn't ride it to it's full potential. I wonder if it comes out on wet Monday mornings. :big grin:

·
Registered
428 Posts
The bikes I like to see are ones's that have been owned by the same owner for years, the owner usually still has his 2 tone Stadium and Everoak open crash helhet and his original wax cotton jacket.
Bikes I see often are C50-C90's MZ150's and 250's, Honda CD125,CD200, CB250RS, CX500, BMWR60,R65 and of course the unrestored british bikes, small Triumph unit twins and BSA Bantam's.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm with the others. A "proper" bike is one that is ridden with awareness and consideration to the conditions and traffic around it, no matter what it's CC, number of cylinders, triple-barrelled unpronounceable Japanese name.

I've previously had a similar situation in a car, touched the brake pedal with my left foot and saw the bonnet of the tailgater dip and sway alarmingly as he hit the brakes. He then overtook and slammed on his brakes in front, forcing me to stop (if he was in such a hurry that he was inspecting my tonsils from the wrong way, why did he stop?). I waited while he got out and approached my car, then calmed drove off, missing him by about 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my opinion prospective drviers should not be let loose in a car until they have completed 6 months probation on a bike upto 125.

This would stop many idiots from getting anywhere near a steering wheel in the first place and the remander that got the chance to drive would hopefully be more aware of Bikes !

It would probably kill off a few idiots as well !

Natural selection ! Survival of the fittest !

Lets not forget tho..........

' If someone designed the motorbike today, they would ban it tomorrow ! '

·
Registered
41 Posts
So he boasted about the size of his bike, then tried to rubbish your bike based seemingly on engine size alone?

I wonder if he feels a little inadequate for some reason? :dance:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
"Whats a proper bike"?

One that runs.....gets you there and doesnt leave you at the side of the road. Plus one when the rider gets off still smiling the other end. :-D

·
Registered
769 Posts
As for tailgaters - I like the idea of all cars having a 6" spike sticking out of the steering wheel, that'd make the B**tards keep their distance.

The other day a loon in a 4x4 was tailgating me and the wife (I was driving her little hatchback), I mean ridiculously close, so I just slowly pulled to a complete stop in the middle of the road (on a straight bit). He sat there for a little while then zoomed around us, gesturing and blowing his horn - the best bit ? He had a "Baby On Board" flag in his back window - so we're supposed to care about the wellbeing of HIS offspring when he thinks it's safe to endanger other people's lives?

I get it both ways - I cycle to work in the week and if you think they mistreat you on an F650 you aint seen nothing!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I often lightly tap my brake pedal/lever in car or bike if someones tailgating me,especially on the motorway just to let them know what im thinking,but a few idiots just get annoyed by it rather than back off.
Im sure ive read somewhere (highway code???) that you SHOULD slow down if someones driving too close behind you.

Im also trying to motivate myself to going to work on my mountain bike but im put off by the thought of how motorists treat cyclists. Im worried that people will overtake me in stupid places and cut me up if i cant keep pace with the traffic,so i end up going on the GS.
Also the cycle lanes going into Bolton are useless,going up onto pavements,ending for no apparent reason. When i used to cycle to work a few years ago id do half the journey on the pavement,wrong i know,but when your own safety is genuinely at risk i think F### you.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't ride on pavements, it's too dangerous and uneven and if you hit a pedestrian they'll throw the book at you.

The trick to survival on the road is to be militant - when approaching a roundabout or island I move into the middle of the road and make the cars behind me wait, most drivers seem to realise what I'm about and back off. If I don't do that they'll overtake just a few feet from the roundabout and cut you off by turning left across your front wheel. The thing to remember is that most drivers have ZERO ability to plan ahead. The instant they're in front of you, you don't exist anymore, therefore when approaching a hazard of some kind, (junction, island etc.) you've just got to stop them getting in front.
On one stretch on the way to work I can do about 35MPH, yes it's down hill, at that speed I am keeping up with the car in front (it's a 30 zone) but other car drivers will attempt to overtake whether or not there's any room to pass and pull round, they end up just sitting along side me at 35MPH and then when we come to a pedestrian island and the road is too narrow for a car and a bicycle side by side, do they slow down ? Do they Hell!
So I simply cycle in the middle of the road on that section until it levels out and my speed drops again.

If you ride like a timid mousey they'll treat you like dirt.

(BTW I'm talking about cycling here, not my 'F')

·
Registered
87 Posts
:dance: bsa bantam, i have a d175 bantam with drop bars, is been stood in my garage for long time, proper british bike
:wall:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was down in Mudeford this weekend and there was a guy with a stunning bike - had a Triumph lump, but Norton bodywork - looked like a proper racing bike. The chap was saying that it is his baby and he'd had her since 1978! Made a lovely noise too. Proper bike for sure... but that twonk in the car would probably disagree because his ZXRCB1200GSXF was bigger, newer and faster.

Best bet for tailgaters is to find somewhere safe, pull over and let them get on with finding their accident elsewhere.

Cheers,
Stu

1 - 20 of 21 Posts