BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - does anyone have any experience of the 'High Seat' option for a G650GS. My standard set up is ok, but as with other threads I've seen, I find myself constantly pushing myself back.

At 6' tall, I feel a tad cramped at times. I love the bike and it's torque, and now fitted with a GPR exhaust makes a great sound, so the seat is the only niggle I have.....looking at the BMW website there is a high seat available at circa £144.....but does anyone know of any tried and tested alternative options?

Thanks....and Merry Christmas
:thanks2:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Even at 5'6" I keep pushing back on the lowered seat, I think it's just a poor design, nothing to do with height or size. Some members have had seats re-modelled or re-covered, do a search on seats.

Keep an eye on Ebay, they come up quite regularly. You could also put a 'wanted' on here.

Bob

·
Old enough to know better
918 Posts
I'm not sure if the design is the same as the older F650GS, but I found the original seat dreadful. The 'scoop' meant I was pushing back all the time; if I didn't do this, my butt would slide forwards and downwards until the tank was getting more attention than my wife was, if you see what I mean. The material of the seat was very slippery, which made it worse. I got the Dakar 'high' seat from Motorworks, which makes all the difference. It's about 40 mm taller, non-slip material, and the shape lets you sit where you want to, and move around as necessary. If one of those would fit your G650, I would recommend it. Not cheap, but worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Bob and Black Dog (again) for your inputs......I'll check out both your recommendations. What with a new exhaust and soon to be seat, plus fog lights it seems I'm creating quite a custom bike.... :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am 6' 2" and I dispensed with the original seat on my G650GS very quickly. It's hideous. The mounting is the exact same as on the old F650GS so you should have no problems getting an aftermarket seat to fit.

I went for the Touratech "standard" height seat at something silly like £400. The height is standard for the old F650GS, which was higher than the seat on the G650GS. As such, it is a good inch or two higher than the original seat and the top is quite nice and flat. You have a lot of flexibility in where to sit and can go a good way further back than with the original seat.

I would imagine that the BMW high seat is a LOT higher than the original seat as it is the high seat from the old F650GS Dakar back when the standard seat was already higher than on our G650s anyway. Got to be worth a go for the money, though.

I have a RoSPA ride-out to Hemel Hempstead this coming Sunday so if you'd be interested to take a look at the Touratech seat I'm sure we can sort something out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 for the Dakar seat - way more comfortable than the standard seat.

At 5'6" I also found the standard seat unbearably uncomfortable after only about 45 minutes. My husband and I each own an F650GSs and between the two bikes we have a Dakar seat, a remodelled standard seat (pictured) and the single seat with storage. I alternate between using the standard and Dakar seats and my husband alternates between using the single and Dakar seats.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Spangle2k4.

This is the Motorrad link to the seat; http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/pdf/PL_G_650_GS_GB_03-12-www.pdf

The BMW G650GS brochure states the standard seat height is 780mm (unladen) and the high seat is 820mm.

The BMW G650GS accessory brochure states the high seat is 840mm.

The Touratech brochure states their high seat is 30mm higher than standard, but as you said at >£400.

Confusing and seems a pity BMW couldn't get the seat design right in terms of comfort correct in the first place, but for the cost it looks like I will give the BMW accessory at £144 a go.

With the current standard seat as fitted I can plant both feet easily on the ground, so hopefully this will be a solution!? :(

Thanks again everyone, and Merry Christmas.

Thanks also Spangle2k4 for the offer on Sunday, but I'll be travelling to Cornwall for New Year (floods permitting)! Another time though :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok everyone, thanks very much once again for all your replies.....which crossed with my attempt.

So it seems I can go for an F650 (single cylinder) Dakar seat and it will fit my new G650GS.....I'll start hunting tomorrow......can't see Santa shoving one down the chimney tonight! :-D:wave:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: the bike is now complete.....300 miles since delivery in early December has seen the following mods:

F650GS Dakar seat (via Motorworks) - a vast improvement on the stock original
GPR exhaust
Ring 55/60w headlight bulb (advertised +120!?) - in reality, a vast improvement over the original

Thanks everyone for all the advice......happy New Year.

Alan

·
Old enough to know better
918 Posts
These +/whatever bulbs work by simply burning hotter than normal, so you would expect the bulb life to be less. Having said that, I have run a +80% bulb in the XT for a couple of years now and it has lasted the course. I'm trying a 100/55W in the GS as an experiment. It's certainly brighter and should have a normal service life, but at the expense of possibly overloading the switch and cables, connectors etc. It's OK so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks...HNY too you too! :big grin:

I'll take that on the basis the light output is a massive improvement...........at least the bulbs don't shake themselves to bits after a week ala my old BSA :)

As a back-up I'll continue to investigate the fog/day running lights too.

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
High seat - Sertao

Getting back to the original question, I could answer - go for the Sertao instead of the standard G.

I took one out today as a loan bike. The first time I noticed something odd was when I put my foot down at a junction and there was nothing there. I've ridden plenty of bikes, but this was the first time I've felt my legs weren't long enough. The next problem was putting it on the side stand or, rather, getting it back off the side stand. When you can just touch the ground, it's a big heave to get the bike upright. Parking on the road edge where there's any sort of camber makes it even worse. It was a relief to get back on to my own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 for the Dakar seat - way more comfortable than the standard seat.

At 5'6" I also found the standard seat unbearably uncomfortable after only about 45 minutes. My husband and I each own an F650GSs and between the two bikes we have a Dakar seat, a remodelled standard seat (pictured) and the single seat with storage. I alternate between using the standard and Dakar seats and my husband alternates between using the single and Dakar seats.

View attachment 3724
Can I get the name of the seat upholsterer...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can I get the name of the seat upholsterer...
M ick McCarthy
MJM Custom Motor Bike Seats
60 Maud St, Goulburn NSW 2580
(02) 4821 6166

1 - 19 of 19 Posts