BMW F650 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
as i have said this build is on a budget ,the piston kit is not from team pami!! it fits a bombadier ds 650 quad bike which also uses the rotax lump.if you consider that a ktm 690 kicks out around 70 hp,again i would think this is a quoted crankshaft figure realistically its rear wheel figure is around 55/60 hp:D

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was more thinking of somthing along the lines of
as i said in my earlier reply ,the fuel tank wraps around the forks on a funduro,not just the plastics the actual fuel tank,there is insufficient clearance for the bigger diameter fork legs,been there tried that!! so without having a bespoke tank made its a nono:mrgreen:

·
Registered
198 Posts
as i said in my earlier reply ,the fuel tank wraps around the forks on a funduro,not just the plastics the actual fuel tank,there is insufficient clearance for the bigger diameter fork legs,been there tried that!! so without having a bespoke tank made its a nono:mrgreen:
Hmmm....I am aware of at least 3 funduros with USD forks, no Idea what they did to fit them, though.

One on ADVrider:

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=127593

2 on F650.de (I don't think you can see the pics if you aren't registered, though.):

The OP later bought the bike he is writing about, it has a WP Fork (620 LSE, shortened to 210 mm travel), the Krüger&Junginger aluminium swingarm (not produced anymore, it allows using an 18" wheel with 140 tires), the 25 liters Acerbis Tank and lots of other farkles fitted.

http://www.f650.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=95272&pageNo=1

and then there's the 2nd one, this guy first used a Paioli Fork (more on that on the bottom!) and later a WP fork, both with the standard tank.

http://www.f650.de/forum/index.php?page=User&userID=12

The Paioli USD that's been used is the one from the Aprilia Pegaso. Weren't these F650 and the Pegaso very similar to each other? Maybe you should look into that?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can add that on the american forum there is a man who managed to install USD fork from KTM to F650
http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?19198-Project-Naranja/page3

don't you know, Toby, which VR the man with Krüger&Junginger aluminium swingarm has on the bike? There is only a small bit of it on the photo. I am registered on F650.de but it is a real pains to read the translation from google as I, unfortunately, can't read German ((

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
just read through the thread on the american bike ,very interesting stuff.i will be keeping an eye on ebay:mrgreen::mrgreen:.for now tho i think i will finish the jobs currently underway so i can hit the trails when it stops snowing!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Do you know the reason I never "gelled" with my DRz400, despite it being an excellent off roader, was it was too focused and lost on road ability in the process, the seat was agony, I never felt happy off road due to it's loftyness, despite being 6 foot and 32" inside leg.

My trail bikes of old, KE175B. SP370, TS250 etc where all a lot closer to the ground and I just felt safer and more in control. I'm not sure I like the modern lofty ones, sure in the hands of an expert they're probably able to give more but to mere mortals they just feel too high for comfort, well for me they do anyway :)

The KE was probably the best off road for me and was exactly like this one

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mikey boy, I'm interested to see how well the DS650 piston goes in. I've recently been drooling over the 730cc big bore kit at OMW Racing ( for my '03 Dakar ). Not convinced though as it would be difficult to increase fueling with the FI. It might be possible to bore out the throttle body a little, and go with a larger injector. Or perhaps a gs1150 or other larger throttle body could be persuaded to fit. The kit should fit the funduro better, and it would be easier to increase carb size too. Obviously it would mean new exhaust etc.....where do you stop?

Keep it coming, also love to hear of any other rotax engine mods you might know of!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts