BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought i might show you all my funduro project as it evolves,i currently use my green funduro for green laning,solo tours and a couple of rally events a year.i hope that the modifications i am doing to what is essentially a "bitsa" will encourage some of you to get out on the lanes and try your hand at what can be a very enjoyable pastime without busting the bank ,when you turn up at a rally event what is apparent is the number of ktm enduro bikes there!to my way of thinking just going out and spending 6k plus on a shiny 690 is too easy and although they are a brilliant bike i thought i would see what i could achieve on a more modest budget.:-D
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

so this is what i started out with,it is a 2000 funduro,i bought for £400 ,when i bought it had a bent frame and engine cradle,so i swapped the frame and replaced all of the bearings in the suspension linkages ,swingarm,headraces etc,then i rebuilt it and then found out that the previous owner had neglected to tell me that jumped out off second gear,so after riding it around the block i chucked it in a corner and left it there until i could make my mind up what to do with it.fast forward about a year,an acerbis fuel tank came up on ebay so i bought it and started to fabricate my plan.

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle part

using a funduro off road has its drawbacks,they were not designed to be a hard core off road bike ,but they are tough and reliable so i thought i would see what causes problems and go from there.
first problem is the footrests,there too low and to far forward if you show the bike a slight rut your feet get knocked off the pegs,and as no one makes any bolt on stuff for an f650 you have to make your own stuff.

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Auto part
Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

after trying them out on the trails to make sure i was happy with the ergonomics of the bike it was time to move on to the next mod,i bought myself a remus exhaust but it was way too loud and it fouled the rear wheel on full bump also the rear caliper was hitting it so i sent it back and had one fabricated to my own design..can you sense a theme starting here

·
Registered
736 Posts
looking good Mike!

For off road use wouldn't a standard tank (sans pretty cover) be better/lighter/slimmer than the acerbis?

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Machine Auto part
Gas Composite material Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

next up was the bash plate,as i ride a lot in the peak district and wales the engine was going to need a bit of protection as the terrain is very rocky,made from 4mm alloy it will be a lot better than the hideous plastic thing.looks ace:cool:

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whilst i was trying out my mods i was finding what worked and what didnt
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

when the going was muddy the front mudguard blocked with mud locking the wheel ,not good:naughty:.it was also apparent that tkc 80 were not going to cut it.:roll:

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Tire
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

fitting a high mudguard with the standard bodywork is a nono it will not clear:tears:
so i toyed around with a few ideas.,i mocked this up when i had a gs12 in bits to see what it would look like,but this is a build on a budget and the couple of hundred quid it will cost for the headlamp and screen will be better spent making the bike usable.

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

the gs1200 set up may be something i will do at a later date,but for now i settled on this,given that i break funduros it made sense to use stuff i had sitting on the shelf.this brings me nearly up to date,the front tyre in these pics is a schoolboy motocross item,which although worked reasonably well on the mud, its profile of 70/100 19 is quite low and it reduces ground clearance and when i tried it in the peaks on my green bike i got a compression puncture within an hour after clouting a rock at speed,so as i sit here writing this i am waiting for a new tyre to be delivered,to fit the dakar wheel i already have:big grin:
this means i will lose the speedo drive but i have a trail tech dash to fit anyway.so whats left? i will be junking the standard chain guard for one which i have just collected from my fabricator,photos will follow later,i will get some photos of the rear wheel with its mitas c02 tyre,
.my design for the rear tool rack is with the fabricator,
.it is moted and taxed now but the clutch is slipping at high speed so i need to order a clutch.

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
puts some real forks on it while you are there :nod:
as and when some dakar forks and shock turn up at the right money i will fit them,some nice upside downers would be nice but again that is a nono,as the funduro tank wraps around the forks and there just isnt enough room to fit them:tears:

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok some interesting stats,the funduro makes 48 bhp,the gs/dakar makes 50bhp,the compression ratio of the fundi is 9.7 to 1,the gs/and dakar is 11.5to 1, the only real difference between the two engines is the cylinder head,so why did they change it? it wasnt for the extra power !,so it is either down to emissions or cost or both ,they have bumped the compression right up and gained nothing from it!!,this tells me that the twin port funduro is a better design as it makes nearly as much power and produces nearly as much torque while running a softer "tune":nodding:.have you heard of team pami? they tune the rotax motor for single cylinder racing,now their stage one kit costs 1500 euro and essentially all they do is fit a higher compression piston 12.5 to 1 and some very expensive carbs,the motor will then make 58 hp,it is my understanding that this is rear wheel horse power,as opposed to bmw,s stated crankshaft horspower figure,which incidently you cant measure(but if bmw stated a rear wheel figure of 35hp it wouldnt sound anywhere near as impressive).so if you increase the compression and give the motor a mild gas flow it should respond really well power wise,so as we speak an 11.5 to 1 forged high comp.piston is wizzing its way from america:sunny: watch this space folks

·
Registered
736 Posts
are these the guys who reckon they can get 80 or 90 hp from the motor with the top tune? If so that's impressive for normally aspirated :)

Just checked and it was the ones I was thinking of

http://www.team-pami.com/cms/?q=en/node/694

90hp is very impressive!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts