BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump controller on my 2012 F650GS as the sealing on the old one was broken. Now, 6 weeks later the issues returned and the sealing of the new one was also broken even I kept the fuel level on a lower level all the time. Why did the old one last 10 years and the new one only 6 weeks. Could the issue be caused by a different cause?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Torsten, it is difficult to understand what your problem is.
The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU, there is also a float switch that tells the ECU when the fuel level is low. That is about all that is in the tank. Just a pump and a switch.
The covers on the tank have been known to crack. But I am not sure what you are referring to.
Pete
have a look at this link
http://www.crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/FuelSysRepair.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pete, I just checked everything again and found a tiny crack in the black plastic cover where fuel is coming out slowly but constantly. What is still surprising is that the sealing on the bottom of the fuel pump electronic did only last some days. This should be designed in a more resilient way. Torsten

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Thorsten, do you mean that the housing that bolts into the fuel tank that holds the pump is cracked.
That is pretty common.
It may be that you have overtightened it. Have a look at the link I put in the first answer and scroll down to where it shows "fuel pump housing cracks"
If it is a crack in the housing then you could do a temporary repair using superglue and sodium bicarbonate,
Just mix some Bicarbonate of soda ( available at supermarkets) with some super glue and use it fast. It handles fuel well and forms a very strong glue.
good luck
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it did. This is a 10 years old bike and the crack appeared right where the fuel pump electronic sits on it and filled the space underneath and destroyed the original electronic. It must have grown and leaks now into the other parts of the housing. I ordered a new assembly to be on the save side during longer trips but thanks for tip wit the glue. I will buy some for trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts