BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Bike is home and the steering is a bit wobbly and spungy... One fork seal is leaking quite a bit.

So.... My question : has anyone here ever replaced fork seals without completely disassembling the forks ?
I know they need to come off the bikes but can you just rplace seals and then put fresh fork oul in ?

Tips and how-to's welcome

Thanks

Dani

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Dani, yes it is possible to change the seals without completely dismantling the forks. If you slide the forks out of the clamps , remove the dust cover and spring clip then make a small hole in the seal and use a bent piece of metal to ease them out it works.
Of course if the actual slider bushes are worn you won't be able to change them without dismantling the forks.
It is not hard to take the forks apart but if it is just the seal they come out reasonably easy, just make sure not to damage the fork stanchion at all
good luck
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to butt in on the conversation but have my fork seals to do in the near future so trying to gain info .. have seen a few good youtube tutorials and this guy is a good help if you are nervous to have a go yourself ...
the only criticism I have is when you crack off the lower allen bolt wind it out a little more say 6 turns then hold the leg upright to get a little oil on the threads and wind back in do this a few times and it will come out easier later.. but the real reason I am here is to find a recommended brand of seal.. any thoughts? cheers guys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Snowie , thanks for the video link !
As for brands , I am not sure if I have bought the very best, but I'll find out soon, (I hope).
I ordered a set from Nr1motor webshop branded "All Balls Racing".

(sorry it is a Dutch company / website)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meanwhile I decided to go the extra mile and do a full service and checkup. Phase 1 is done (draining oil and external cleaning + inspection). Waiting for parts to be delivered now
Wood Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts