BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the bike for few months getting ready for MoT , Passed now, after getting bike back to my place noticed the next day oil leak on decking (see pic) I thought the seals looked pretty good, as did mot inspector lol.. Only little bump was riding onto Decking , 4 inched.. right seal leaking.. Do they just go brittle with age ??? it hadnt had mot for last 5 years before i owned it....

was planning on getting back on then road next week, can you just keep riding for a few months ? or is it better to do straightaway ?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle Tread
Cosmetics Rim Automotive tire Bicycle part Tints and shades

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well they come off easy enough - i.e. without damaging them - so you could, but when I did mine I changed the seals and dust seal too.

You'll need fork oil too as that comes out during the change.

When I did mine, I installed motorworks bellows gaiters onto the forks at the same time. I haven't had to change a fork seal in the 3 years since.
They are a bit pricey but I use mine through the winter so thought it was worth it.

Buzz.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You could reuse the dust seal if money is tight. Before you buy stuff, check for wear to the bushes. With the front wheel off the ground, push/pull the bottom of the fork legs. If there’s significant movement then buy a set of bushes too. Personally I would just do the lot. Nothing worse than half doing something and having to revisit it in a few months time.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If unable to get exact snug fit, suggest getting just under and put a slit to expand snugly round fork tube,
main point is that it's square at business end , smooth off any rough edges, lube seal so easier to get into position and save potential damage

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi mate not wanting to put you off but,when i did mine they where a right Bar Steward,one fell apart,piece of piss,but the other,took more days to split than i care to remember,good luck :thumb:
Pipeline transport Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Helmet Musical instrument Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi mate not wanting to put you off but,when i did mine they where a right Bar Steward,one fell apart,piece of piss,but the other,took more days to split than i care to remember,good luck :thumb:
View attachment 35626 View attachment 35634 View attachment 35642
blimey ,,,, did you beat it on with a kango (jack hammer) I am thinking of using 40mm plastic water pipe cut off nice and square, slit it to allow to expand 1mm, wrap with some lead flashing, neatly for a bit of weighty slide hammer type action I am in construction so wont cost me anything
b

·
Registered
418 Posts
The little bugga was jammed solid,so I had to try and chisel it out
without damaging the fork leg,trouble was all the pulling buggered
up the bushes, so I had to replace those aswell, if yours pull out like
the first one I did, there a piece of ��
If not run away now ������

·
Registered
549 Posts
That fork seal driver looks sweet but I just used some 40 mm soil pipe split like kuyajonathan said.

As for pulling the old seal out - mine came out after a few good tugs on the forks legs/stanchions.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts