BMW F650 Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi Los, have you removed the top engine mount at the back near the carburettors?
Have a look at this post from the F650 US site
Pete
Removing the Motor from an F650 Classic
Holy smokes this was the most miserable thing ever. After almost an entire day i finally managed to get the head off, there is barely enough space to do it in the frame. Like, one extra mm and i would've not been able to pull it off.

How is my piston and valves looking? Clean for 40k km?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)

Got the piston quite clean using keresone and light pressure with a steel wool.

The valves have a bit of build-up on them and i can get it off. Tips?

Also rly struggling to take the old gasket material off. Tried using a razor but it's not really doing much and it does leave lil scratch so im scared to use it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I usually clean gaskets off with a scraper. I get an old power hacksaw blade and sharpen it like a chisel. Then carefully scrape it off.
you can use a sharp chisel too, just be careful not to let it dig into the aluminium. Copper or Aluminium sharpened works too, a bit less chance of damaging the head.
After the bits of gasket are removed I use a piece of wet and dry paper to finish cleaning the head.
With the valves, I always take them out and clean them up, do a valve grind ( suction stick and valve grinding paste) then put them back in. Making sure to oil the valve guides and valve shafts as they are put back in.
You can scrape the carbon off the face of the valves carefully , just don't damage the cylinder head.
Light scratches on the head can be sanded off with a wood block and wet and dry paper ( carborundum) wrapped around it. ( make sure to clean the area well after )
Pete

41 - 43 of 43 Posts