BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen lane filtering discussed here before, although I am sure it must have been discussed somewhere. I am positive it is allowed in the highway code, but now I need to find my last copy. I have filtered past stationery police without an issue but of course that does not ensure that it is legal. I am only referring to the UK here.

For me I tend to lane filter if the traffic is at a stand still, or crawling but clearly not everyone is pleased to let motor cyclist's past. In motor way jams I have experienced people both giving you room, and trying to block the space :naughty:

It was one of the reasons I got this bike, easier to commute to meetings and nip in and out of the cities and in jams I could still be making progress. I stay in the small towns roughly half way between both Glasgow and Edinburgh, its about 26 miles from here to each city boundary, and can often be in and out of the cities which having the bike makes a lot easier, especially with dedicated free parking areas :nod:

What do you think of filtering. I would be reluctant to put side panniers on as this would make filtering more difficult.

I was reading about it and while an older article I thought it was worth sharing, and seems that at least some confirmation that filtering is legal, although I do appreciate that it would be real difficult if a collision were to occur, which is why I would only do it with stationary or very slow moving traffic.

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_law.htm

·
Registered
998 Posts
>> What do you think of filtering.

It's what a bike is for. Unfortunately the bars on a Scarver are wide and at car mirror height, not good.

Keep it slow and any pain is minimised and you've a good case in court, go screaming through and you get what you deserve, sort of thing.

But UK law is mainly about lawyers having a good living, so don't be surprised at anything that happens if it goes pear shaped.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes,filtering is perfectly legal here in the UK, its part of the enjoyment of motorcycling,however, it has its pitfalls obviously as hilldweller mentioned
The two (probably) most common hazards being filtering past a line of stationary vehicles with a driver waiting to pull out of a side road,the driver nearest to the junction stops flashes him/her to pull out,which they do, into your path and bang your over the bonnet, or filtering between two lanes of stationary traffic where there is a truck/bus or other high sided vehicle, pedestrians may be crossing from the other side of the road, and will inadvertantly walk inbetween the high sided vehicle and the car in front not realising/expecting you to be there and vise versa and the inevitable collision will occur,its a case of the old boy scout motto,''Be Prepared'' or another term ''Expect the Unexpected and Assume Nothing'' that way you at least have a chance
With regard to panniers etc, yes they can make filtering awkward at times, a top case is a better bet (Givi E55 takes two full face helmets) maybe a tail pack or tank bag too, depends on the width of the panniers, there are slimmer ones available which are the sensible option for commuting,but prahaps not so good if you plan to do some touring as well where the larger ones are more practical, you can measure the width of the panniers and compare the width to the widest point at the front of the bike,obviously if the bars/ mirrors are wider then (in theory at least) provided they allow you to squeeze through the panniers should be fine, Take care and good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Prob same rules as here in New Zealand,you can do it but you can't use shoulder of road or go over yellow centre lines.Can still be done for inconsiderate driving or similar if cop having a bad day.

·
may contain nuts
1,677 Posts
was put for a ride round Derby with my daughter last night (getting a bit of practice in before she takes her test) and spotted some signs targeted at bikes saying 'take care while filtering'

hopefully and car driver seeing them will realise that filtering is fine if done safely, ...........what am I saying, we all know car drivers are blind :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have vario panniers, these do not stick out as far as handlebars even when extended. Normal commute involves going around Derby, without filtering this would be a very tedious journey.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you say this I was on the motorway today in my van and was very pleased to see signs that said let motorcyclists past .......cool

·
Registered
126 Posts
I always filter through traffic, practice makes perfect so they say so now I've got a pretty good idea of the width of the bike and the gaps I can make or not. I always filter cautiously but sometimes drivers do seem to be brassed off and move over (jealousy I can only presume) . I filtered through traffic in all of the countries I traveled through in Europe (12 in total) on my last trip with panniers and a pillion. In Europe (broad generalization I know, but seemed true throughout!) they filter at much higher speeds than we do in the UK and the police don't seem to mind. Saying all that I'm still very wary when there is a police car ahead in traffic! A quick question: If you are in a single lane of traffic that is jammed and stationary but the lane coming the other way is clear do the same filtering rules apply?

·
Registered
998 Posts
do the same filtering rules apply?
Don't forget, there are no "rules". If it goes tits up then you have to justify your action, very much guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Totally stationary is particularly dangerous. You might get a ped or cyclist appear at a second's notice. Also, as always, way up your escape route if the young idiot in the Corsa suddenly appears from nowhere or does a Uie. There's usually a car with a bit of a gap in any line of traffic, and always at the head of roadworks traffic lights.

I have picked up two favorites. Always be able to stop in the distance you can see. Always have an escape route.

Apologies for "the full rant", I know you are experienced but we do have newbies in here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have picked up two favorites. Always be able to stop in the distance you can see. Always have an escape route.

Apologies for "the full rant", I know you are experienced but we do have newbies in here.
No worries, it's great advice! Whenever I ride I assume everyone is an idiot and partially sighted (to bikers anyway!). That way it doesn't surprise you when for example someone opens the door on you, so you can stop safely.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What annoys me almost as much as car drivers who try to impeded your filtering, is those bikers who appear to feel you have to filter, even when I don't want to. You know the ones, you're taking your time and not worrying too much whether you filter or not, and then a bike wobbles it's way down behind you, and then slips into your gap and indicates that you should move off first to leave plenty of room for them :wall:

·
Registered
998 Posts
then slips into your gap and indicates that you should move off first to leave plenty of room for them :wall:
Oops - guilty as charged.

What annoys me is seeing bikes sitting in a queue when it's perfectly safe to filter to the head. I assume they are really car drivers. Quite often they are in new leathers, on new, top of the range Ducatis or the like.

And if I do slide into someone else's gap I think it's polite to wave them on so as not to be rude after borrowing a bit of their space. It stops a race developing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
... What annoys me is seeing bikes sitting in a queue when it's perfectly safe to filter to the head.

And if I do slide into someone else's gap I think it's polite to wave them on so as not to be rude after borrowing a bit of their space. It stops a race developing.
Point taken about the waving them on bit, but maybe some riders aren't as confident with filtering as others :dunno:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Point taken about the waving them on bit, but maybe some riders aren't as confident with filtering as others :dunno:
Fair enough. To someone who is a car driver it is a skill to learn very carefully. I sometimes I do deliberately filter or overtake just to say to the other biker, "come on this is what bikes are for". Like roadwork lights. There's always a gap at the front. There's always a gap in the timing to allow for slow vehicles. That's *our* gap that is. A nice steady run down the wrong side, as far as possible from the cars for maximum vision ( bike to car and car to bike ), watch them like a hawk. It's very safe. And oh so very satisfying.

Sometimes I just potter along in the sunshine not caring what speed I do. More so now at 67 on a single when there is less need to get there and much more to enjoy on the journey. Then sometimes this evil little blue scarver says "I want more you old git, have you forgotten what your right hand is for ?" and I am obliged to give it some stick and, oh boy, does it deliver the old adrenalin rush.

There is something so very special about biking.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What annoys me almost as much as car drivers who try to impeded your filtering, is those bikers who appear to feel you have to filter, even when I don't want to. You know the ones, you're taking your time and not worrying too much whether you filter or not, and then a bike wobbles it's way down behind you, and then slips into your gap and indicates that you should move off first to leave plenty of room for them :wall:
Lol its great when you see another bike close or at the front of a jam, lights etc. Its a safe zone to work towards. of course letting the other biker go first is just manners...

As above filtering should only be done with caution, I'm not meaning run through traffic like a mad man.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree that there is something very special about biking, which I guess is why we do it. I admit to having driven cars, and lorries, although I do neither now as I only use my bikes for independent transport. I think there is a difference though in filtering because you want to, and filtering because someone else feels that you should. It's the latter which annoys me, as afterall, it's my ride and I should be able to ride it the way I want to :cool:

·
Registered
998 Posts
it's my ride and I should be able to ride it the way I want to :cool:
I have a solution, a sign pinned to your back deterring helpful bikers "I am not a car owning prat who does not know how to ride a bike, I'm quite happy sitting in this queue and if you think I'll follow you then you are mistaken".

Black print on reflective yellow will even enhance your safety.

I get the same from old ladies I help cross the road.

"But I'm happy on this side of the road".
"Shut up and get walking, old ladies are supposed to cross the road".

·
Registered
132 Posts
lol Brian, please don't take offence, none was intended. Riding to and from work every day is one of the perks of not owning a car these days, and I love to savour it. Whenever I filter, I make good time, so sometimes, I just like to sit in the queue and enjoy the view just to drag it out a bit (((hugs)))

·
Registered
998 Posts
lol Brian, please don't take offence
I don't take offence, love taking the pi$$ though :)

I spent loads of time at 25mph today. No, not a queue, just sunshine and the glorious peak district. Last week I spent at my daughter's near Hexham, you're not short of glorious there. I was amazed at the number of *serious* stone mansions. There was ( is ? ) serious money there. A real bonus was The Lord Crew Arms Hotel in Blanchland, what a place and great fish 'n' chips.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts