BMW F650 Forums banner

Faulty speedo on F650GS

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  michael d 
#1 ·
took the bike out for a little jaunt today :whistle: well a two tank fulls jaunt , cant tell you the mileage ,because the speedo decided not to work :wall:

has anyone experienced this? the needle decided to sit at 0 mph with occasional random readings ! then firmly at zero for the rest of the trip .
ive had a quick look at the chain gang faqs , so i guess id better get a speedo sensor on order ?

oh and before i got home the indicator switch decided to play up too ! needs pushing IN and to the right now , instead of just nudging it to the right :roll:

hopefully when these two faults are sorted , it will behave for a while!!

:cheers: mike

G
#2 ·
Michael,
this problem has been discussed here before. Try a search for details but basically the "rear" speedo sensor has probably got water in it.
Take it out and dry it (airing cupboard?).
You may find it's been damaged on the surface against the rotor (abrasive mud?). I resealed mine with clear silicon (after drying).
Could just be incorrect gap of course.

Good luck................

#4 ·
thanks for the advice spout , just had a quick' diagnostic session' now and the conclusion is its :cussing: :mrgreen:

no visible damage to the sensor face apart from a few scratches , stuck it on the radiator and dryed it out anyway , refited it and still kaput :-( wonder how much a new one is im guessing ?50 but ill find out tomorrow hope im pleasently surprised !

brassmonkey , i reckon the indicator swich fault must be a black and white fault ;) ,, mind you i tried it earlier and it had cured itself (for now anyway ! )

:cheers: mike

G
#5 ·
I wouldn't be inclined to splash out ?50 on a new sensor without doing a few "diagnostics" first. :whistle:

Could it be the speedo itself ?? or some simple wiring problem ?? or a fuse ?? Can you borrow someone else's sensor to try ?? Is your dealer friendly enough to let you do a swap to determine it "really is" the sensor.

Is the gap between it and the ring as per the book ?

G
#6 ·
The speedo sensor being talked about here,is this the same sensor as the rear ABS sensor? as i can see no other sensor here.
Reason i askis the other day i had to disconnect the rear ABS sensor due to a problem with rear brake pads sticking on and rode home with no rear brakes :shock: and the ABS sensor removed.
Whilst riding home i noticed the speedo had stopped registering. Hopefully this is the same sensor and explains the fault. :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.