BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yes took the bike for its MOT and yes it failed :doh:

Failed on the following points::
1. Rear suspension movement excessively stiff.
2. Front Wheel Bearings are excessively rough.

Anyway have ordered wheel bearings so hopefully that will sort the front wheel.

What do you suggest for the rear suspension. Just regrease etc???

Cheers

SHOTROCK :not worthy:

·
Registered
650 Posts
shotrock said:
What do you suggest for the rear suspension. Just regrease etc???
Assuming it's not the pre-load....................When I changed the chain and sprockets on my 2 year old GS the suspension was in a bad way. The pivot axle that goes through the engine case and swing arm was siezed solid and the bearings and linkages were dry. My advise is to have a look at the chain gang site for details on removing the rear swing arm and greasing up the pivots, linkages and bearings.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyway, wheel bearing sorted easy enough. Parts overnight from Motorworks.

Anyway suspension another story. All bearings dry. Main shaft for the swing arm was seized as were the main bearings. Have managed to strip most of it down, so Motorworks will be getting another call on Monday.

I wish someone could make a maintenance free bike.

Regards and very greasey

SHOTROCK :wall:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Shotrock.

It must have been a day for swing arm removal yesterday. I thought I had some dodgy rear wheel bearings, but after re-checking (with a finger in each side of the hub, pressing against the bearings) they were smooth with no play. So I decided to take a look at the swing arm. My goodness what a job that was. The swing arm pivot shaft seemd to be stuck solid. I had to resort to a big lump hammer, plus penetrating fliud, and turning the shaft.

The actual bearings - who knows what's gone on with them - they are solid, no turning with brown rust coloured staining in the felt washer things. It must have been like it for months. Anyway needless to say I have to use the bike, until I get the parts, so the pivot shaft is well greased now and gone back in.

I would advise anyone who does there own sevicing to check sooner rather than later - to at least take the shaft out and grease it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
hi shotrock , had the same problem when i bought my dakar a few years ago , rusty dry bearings and bushes :-( cost me about £150 in parts to sort out

anyway i have a few bearings and seals left over if there of any use?

6off neadle roller bearings HK 2216 22 X18X16 MM £4 EACH

8off seals 24 O/D 16 I/D 3 MM WIDTH £1 EACH

although mine is a gs i believe a lot of the parts on the swingarm /suspension linkage are the same . have a check on the chain gang faq .

send me a pm if there of use :think:

cheers mike

·
Registered
650 Posts
As I said, I had the same problem. If I had replaced my chain with one with a master link I would probably never have spotted the problem myself.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Failed on the following points::
1. Rear suspension movement excessively stiff.
2. Front Wheel Bearings are excessively rough.

since when have those been failures! either they work or they dont. As long as theres no play in the front wheel bearing I cant see how it can be a failure... :roll:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Found this on an MoT testers website "b. Excessive roughness, tightness or free play in the wheel bearings" is a reason for rejection. And also "b. excessive stiffness in the movement of the rear suspension. A shock absorber with inadequate damping effect or insecurely mounted". The website is http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm .
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well have fitted the main swing arm bearings. Just not sure how far the drive them in. Any ideas???????????????

SHOTROCK :not worthy:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well found out how far the bearings should be put in so all put back together and working.

One problem the suspension rebound does not appear any better. I am now wondering if the shock is worn. I'm just not sure how far the suspension should rise when I get off the bike. It does not come all the way back up???????.

Well if I get no replies, I will just get the bike retested and see whet happens.

SHOTROCK :wall:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could be a tired spring!!

A little sag under the bikes own weight is normal, does the bikes rear suspension extend fully when put on the centre stand?

Glenn

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well took the bike for mot today and guess what.. IT PASSED :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank godness for that as I did not fancy buying a new shock.

SHOTROCK :riding:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.