BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fello F650 owners. I recently bought a dreaded chin drive bike, gulp... a F650St, after 25 years + of BMW shafties. I once had a XT500 and a SR500 so I know there is chain lash at low speed in top. The F650 lashes and shakes the bike around 30-40mph in top. everything else seems ok,, about 30mm of chain slack on the stand. Is this shake normal for the F650? Have ordered the 15tooth sprocket, to lower the final drive the ratio by .195 which means a lower top speed, but heck, there is so much traffic now, that traffic spends most of the time at .. 30-40 mph. Martin M

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum and to the world of big singles, 30 to 40 mph in top gear??? no way Jose, these bikes need to be revved a bit more to smooth em out, 30 to 40 should be 3rd gear, they're happier at 4000 revs + this should sort out the chain backlash problem immediately:nod: regards Jim

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHA! thanks for the reply, yes it seems to manage 3rd and sometimes 4th without lash, so thats how to cure it. Well, I will see how the 15 tooth front sprocket goes later this week. Seems to have much more power than the old Yamaha XT500/SR500s of the 70s. regards Martin

·
Registered
761 Posts
A lot of military forces use or used the Rotax lump, bomb proof engine, and the army would use and abuse, so a good recomendation methinks. Jim

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello anyone who read this thread, well I put a 15-tooth front sprocket on the engine drive shaft, plus a new chain, and the shaking/lash is a lot better. Recommend this to anyone who does not go much on motorways as the top speed is a bit lower and , of course it revs more in any gear, usefull 95% of the time, as it sure accelerates better from that 4000 rpm.

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
As posted elsewhere on here, I fitted a 15t sprocket because I spend a lot of time at lowish speeds. The lower gearing enables me to get into the next higher gear in most situations. The jury's still out on the impact on fuel consumption.

·
overland and classic
352 Posts
removing the standard exhaust and fitting a sportier can helps quite a lot,it allows the motor to chug down to 2500 revs without all that snatching.its a worthwhile mod and the bike will sound like a bike not a sewing machine:cool:.mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't forget the cushdrive rubber will get a bit of play after a while. Doesn't help snatching & jerking at all. Wee bits of alloy sheet cut to fit & jambed into place help for a while. Otherwise, I'm on my second one at 53,000 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
F 650 ST Chain last is a latest post f single discussion related to the BMW bikes as the discussion starter. I recently bought a dreaded chin drive bike with the BMW shafties for the papernow.org top speed around 30 to 40 mph in the top for seeming the stand of driving ratio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Helegrod is a question asked by the posting member of this group that is about the 24 man level 50 raid. The location is at the misty mountain located at the north central part of pay me to do your thrift shop fayetteville nc with the different parts of the body as per name of the character.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts