BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm so glad there is a forum I can shout for help. I've bought this bike back in May this year, and lately I had quite a trouble with the ignition.
Since i bought it used and the previous owner seemed super worried about the battery life (having the ignition key turned on just idling), It was a telltale sign the battery needs to go.
Not even mentioning the sickening broughm......broughmdadadada starting I witnessed every now and then.

Well the weather became sour as biting into lemon lately, and now I'm getting only clicks when i press the ignition button.
I've got a new battery this week what I installed two days ago but the bike still didn't want to start. Just clicking away on the button press.
Last night I charged up the new battery, as a friend lend me his battery charger, installed the battery again and there she goes. She finally managed to turn over no hassle.
I left her running for about 7 minutes I assembled the bike and tried to start it again. Clicking again...
There is a few thing I'm about to check tonight when it comes to battery voltages today as i can snatch a multimeter from work, but still wondering if any of you had a similar experience with these bikes. I found so many strange electrical parts i don't recognize, I could use some help to identify these at some point too. I may take some photos when i open her up fully.
Before I had no problem with the bike just starting it sounded a bit sickening every now and then.

I hope i can get the BlueThunder on the road soon again :S

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update.
I have charged the new battery once again, put it back in place this time it wouldn't start at all.
Just clickity clank if i press the start button.
I measured the 12V on the input of the starter and it looked okay so the relay is working.
The starter doesn't turn though.
I will take out the starter on Saturday and take a look inside. Hopefully its just a brush or dirt problem.
Thankfully a friend came to help so I didn't decide yet to push the bike in the Liffey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Saturday has been spent with 6 hours of work on this now. The plan was simple: Take off the starter, pry it open, look for issues on the brushes, clean the starter, assemble, prosper. I have to say this is a complicated repair on this bike. There's virtually no space for work due to the crashbars and coolant pipes. We managed eventually but the starter looked better than we expected. There is only one problem we uncovered on the starter and that is a broken magnet. There's four fitted on the starter housing and one of them broke around the gluing so it could travel if forced. As I have no epoxy eventually we decided to use a conventional superglue to fix this.
Rim Gas Cylinder Composite material Nickel

After we assembled the starter back on the bike still wouldn't turn the starter by pressing the ignition button. Click click...
It was a real kick in the nuts. The next few hours we've been testing wiring by trying to make sparks and trying to bypass the relay.
What I think now this whole problem may be coming from a bad grounding. The only reason I think I may be wrong is because if there is a bad ground I would still expect something to happen.
At least a bit of tickling, a mur mur or something really.
I had some issues with starting the bike when I bought it, but that seemed like it was a weak and old battery.
Maybe I had the grounding issue from the start.
The plan for today is grab a multimeter from work, get on the wiring diagram and measure all leads going for ground. I found one wire with a damaged insulation what already looks like a good candidate for replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a journey... Today I have finally resurrected the bike from its long slumber. After a week of brainstorming, countless hours kneeling in the dark parking lot I have found the culprit. Ridiculous...
Household hardware Nickel Fastener Auto part Metal

While this is very hard to believe, this one screw screwed with me. My multimeter testing last night didn't confirm the damaged cable theory. To make sure I spend the evening productive I spent some time cleaning the many dozens of screws I took out. I made a replacement wire just in case and connected that to the battery and the ground near the starter. I did a quick test and I could turn over the starter by shorting the two cables from the relay.
Since I believe the measurements I made on the terribly expensive Fluke multimeter this didn't made any sense for me.
Out of all the screws I took out the one for the grounding wire next to the starter looked the saddest. This gave me an idea to replace that and hook up the original wiring.
Bike started again... Man... All along... This @$#&ing screw was it all along. The layer of rust was enough to make this screw non conductive. This means the starter didn't had a good grounding connection to the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts