BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I hope you can help. I have a 2002 F650 GS (Chain drive, single cylinder, injection) that has been laid up for several years. It was last started 3 years ago and since then, just the odd dust off and turn over. I'd like to get it back on the road. I have done a general tidy up, inflated tyres, changed coolant and installed new main battery (fully charged) and immobiliser fob battery. When I switch it on with the key and operate the immobiliser fob, nothing happens. No sound (used to hear what I think was the fuel pump), no headlight, horn does not work and no dash lights. Starter button has no effect either. The clock on the dash and the parking / position lights are working so at least some power getting through. Immobiliser seems to be working as when set, the alarm will sound when the bike is rocked. My recollection of the start procedure was, key in and turn on, dash lights came on, use remote fob to unset the immobiliser, start button to turn over. I have a feeling this might be related to the immobiliser but....
I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In case it helps:
I can't remember the exact details - ie what worked/didn't work exactly - but my immobiliser failed shortly after I bought my bike.
The shop had it back, unplugged the immobiliser and got it working my shorting connections in the plug connected to the bike by trial and error.
Later I removed the alarm/immobiliser and harness and put the wiring back to original.
Buzz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buzz. I had thought about trying to bypass the immobiliser but wasn't sure how to go about it or whether it's even possible. I'll have a look tonight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just bear in mind that if you do it without actually checking which wire in the plug connects to which circuit you could get it working but wired up wrong.
When the bikeshop did mine, the fuel pump was being powered from a switched 12v source but not through the BMS (ECU). It worked, but who knows what fuses and what wires were involved!
Buzz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts