BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Trying to get my '94 Funduro back on the road after some catastrophic engine failure. Heard a dull knocking sound when riding on the motorway before the engine seized. Split the cases and it turned out the crankshaft main bearing had seized.

Was cheaper to buy a new crankshaft than replace the bearing, so I ordered one online and have just finished reassembling the engine and reinstalling it back into the frame. My issue now is that the engine doesn't turn over, either by putting it in gear and spinning the wheel or with an allen key in the slot on the crankcase.

Anyone have any ideas as to the issue? Any common reasons why the engine won't turn over after reassembly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Able to answer my own question after a bit of disassembly...

Looks like I had installed the camshafts upside down, getting confused by the Haynes manual description: install the camshafts so that the index lines on the sprocket are "parallel with the top of the head, and the small hole in each sprocket at the top". The confusion is due to the fact that there are two holes on the camshaft sprockets.

For others in trouble, the lower of the two holes in each sprocket is the one that needs to be at the top!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts