BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to the site and this is going to be my first post. I bought a 2011 BMW F650 GS Twin recently. Loving the bike, its awesome. Only issue I sometimes face in the bike is that when I turn on the ignition switch the bike is shown to be in gear and there is no Neutral light. When it is so, the self will not work even if I have engaged the clutch (I think bike should start anyways when the clutch is engaged) I am mostly a weekend rider, but I don't think battery is an issue here as battery is new and showing correct amperes. I saw a video on youtube about cleaning of the gear position sensor, but I am unable to locate it on my bike. I would highly appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
under the front sprocket cover
So I found the sensor and cleaned it. Worked fine for about a month and now the issue is back. I think I'll have to buy a new sensor anyway :(
Question is, why doesn't the bike start in gear? I believe it should start when I engage the clutch but it won't. What might be the issue here, any quick fix?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Clutch switch issue ? check it out as I believe it is just a 2 wire one use a multimeter to check it is working , unplug the wire to the switch and test for a circuit when the clutch is pulled in or if you do not have a meter just bridge the 2 wires in the connector and turn on the ignition and see if the starter works in gear --- Warning dont forget to pull the clutch in as you when be in gear and the bike will move forward possibly start and run into something and you may not be expecting it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clutch switch issue ? check it out as I believe it is just a 2 wire one use a multimeter to check it is working , unplug the wire to the switch and test for a circuit when the clutch is pulled in or if you do not have a meter just bridge the 2 wires in the connector and turn on the ignition and see if the starter works in gear --- Warning dont forget to pull the clutch in as you when be in gear and the bike will move forward possibly start and run into something and you may not be expecting it.
My bike is 2010-11 model. These models don't come with a clutch switch, right?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Would/should have a clutch switch according to workshop wiring diagram and the parts diagram.
Would not start in gear otherwise so you do not have to find neutral -- unless it has been modified

1 - 9 of 9 Posts