BMW F650 Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Baz, if you can get a mechanic to put a fuel pressure guage on the line that will tell you quite a bit.
The GS911 ( your techical plug in thingy) will tell you any fault codes that the bike has thrown up.
Dennie found a way to use an OBDI tester to talk to the bike may be worth asking him how he did that. OBDI testers are much cheaper and every garage has one
I am not so up on fuel injected bikes either, my car has injection and has had faults with a couple of things, mainly idle air valve and a knock sensor. Being able to plug a computer into the car makes diagnosis easier.
If the pump needs changing don't go down the BMW road. They just buy them from the manufacturers and put the price up by nearly 20 times what they pay.
I had a mate that had a G650Gs and also has an R1150 Rt they both needed fuel pumps, I think he got his a repco or supercheap and they were only $40 for a pump that was exactly the same.
If you can get to the intake of the bike remove the air filter and have a look at the spray pattern the injector puts out.
Or alternately put some injector cleaner into the fuel tank and see if it helps.
I can't remember if you pulled the idle air valve out and cleaned it or not?
Also you could have a faulty oxygen sensor. Try Dennie for his method of talking to the ECU.
Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Pete and thanks again, Hi Dennie,
I have a OBDI so I'll google that and also Dennie, if you're still here and reading can you please detail what you did?
I will look into buying a fuel pump if the local autobarn down the range has one (my wife is going there anyway). I'll google a part number or type and hope they can match it.
The idle air valve (next to the TPS right?), I did clean this (it was horrible) but I did that before the problems started. If I damaged this somehow, can it affect the running? I thought it controlled idle only? I pulled the plug off it to see what affect at idle and with it disconnected the revs rose quite a lot.
As for the O2 sensor, this is a closed loop sensor so only works when the throttle is consistent, maybe this is the case, but it does seem more troubled when adjusting throttle position. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope it is the fuel pump, I just got the damn thing all back together after a year, and with thread locker too!

Really appreciate the help Pete.

Baz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Baz, here is a link to an ebay fuel pump.
Petrol Fuel Pump For BMW F800R G650X F800ST F650CS G650GS F700GS F800GT F800GS | eBay
There are heaps of other sellers and as you can see they are not a $700 pump.
My idle air valve on our car was leaky , it has a rubber stopper on the end to cut of flow when it is closed. The stopper had a groove on it so it was not working well. The car hunted about a fair bit.
I hope Dennie can help with the OBDI reader connections.
see if this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Pete, thanks again,
I will try the OBD2 check thing tomorrow and I found a Japanese Kemso pump in Oz for $59.
Also seems they used these pumps in Holden Astra (and many others). I found one of these (in Oz) for $30 but it is made in China and says it pumps out 90lt/hr at 43psi compared to the Kemso at 140-160lt/hr.
Depending on OBD2 I'll buy (Kemso) pump asap and hope it works. Certainly seems to cut all fuel at times as it is really jerky.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Baz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hi Pete, thanks again,
I will try the OBD2 check thing tomorrow and I found a Japanese Kemso pump in Oz for $59.
Also seems they used these pumps in Holden Astra (and many others). I found one of these (in Oz) for $30 but it is made in China and says it pumps out 90lt/hr at 43psi compared to the Kemso at 140-160lt/hr.
Depending on OBD2 I'll buy (Kemso) pump asap and hope it works. Certainly seems to cut all fuel at times as it is really jerky.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Baz
hi Baz. I did a diagnostic with obd2. What I can recommend - first of all, clear the errors before testing. The second one - check for errors at the beginning and during the process several times, to understand exact moment it appears. For example my crankshaft error appears only when I try to accelerate and it begins to misfire etc. On idle no errors.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just a thought , if in line fuel filter fitted, check filter fitted right way, apparently meant to flow in one direction

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,
I am ordering a cable OBD2 to 10pin BMW, this will take a week or so, so I'll sit back till then. I'm tempted to buy the fuel pump now, but I better wait to make sure it is needed. Unfortunately I have plenty to do while I wait anyway.
I'll report back.
Thanks for that info Dennie and good point about the fuel pump Pete, I hadn't really thought about that. Saying that, I feel a little more comfortable with a branded pump, so will probably still pay the extra.
Fuel filter is all good kuyajonathan. Thanks.
Cheers,
Baz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Hi guys. The problem is solved. The real reason: shavings, apparently from the flywheel, on the engine speed sensor, not on the working side, but on the back, from the side of the contacts, that's why I didn't see them in upper look window. Cleaned it up and it works like clockwork now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fantastic news Dennie, I hope that the invaders leave your country soon and you can get back to having lots of peaceful motorcycle time.
Good luck and stay well
Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,
Glad you posted again as I couldn't find this page again until I got an email today!
I had the same problem!
Actually I am about to test ride it in 10 minutes. I cleaned the sensor contacts a day ago and have started it since ...it seems fixed. Right I'll go ride it now and update asap.
Yep, just went for a few kms and seems all good. This afternoon (after putting plastics on) I shall ride it about 60km, see how she goes. Simple and free in the end...after having a difficult and slightly expensive process to get here.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts