BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello again Los - Serpent i just checked my F650GS I tried a 20mm it would not fit i then tried a 23 mm it was spinning round it I suspect it is a 21mm . Be aware the Nut on the other side of the Bike is Bigger I think a 23mm But the socket would not fit in the Hole .Cheers Francis

·
Registered
333 Posts
what size is that nut? should be either a 20-21 or 22. my 22 sockets won't fit in that hole! so maybe a 21?
You might need either a deep socket
Like these for example;

Or a box spanner might also work

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might need either a deep socket
Like these for example;

Or a box spanner might also work

Steve
the issue i have is that the socket doesn't fit through the hole in the frame. they are standard size sockets, a 19 will fit, a 20 won't :\

·
Registered
333 Posts
the issue i have is that the socket doesn't fit through the hole in the frame. they are standard size sockets, a 19 will fit, a 20 won't :\
I've taken an engine out so I must have a socket \ wrench for the job. I don't recall needing to buy a special socket. The Clymer manual makes no mention of a special socket or technique needed. I'll look in the garage as I still have the engine and frame so will have a closer look again as a few years since I did the job

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken an engine out so I must have a socket \ wrench for the job. I don't recall needing to buy a special socket. The Clymer manual makes no mention of a special socket or technique needed. I'll look in the garage as I still have the engine and frame so will have a closer look again as a few years since I did the job
maybe i have sockets that are larger than usual? i don't think so tho. thanks for taking a look

·
Registered
333 Posts
Some sockets do have thicker walls to compensate for a weaker metal used in manufacture.

As an engineer I do come across difficult access every now and then, usually on highly stressed parts where they want to keep the diameter of hole to a minimum to maximise strength. I have before now had to machine down a socket wall to fit when I couldn't find a suitable socket in order to fix a breakdown. Anyway, check tomorrow

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi,
I've just checked and it is 22 mm A\F. I can fit a standard 1/2" drive parallel sided bi-hexagon socket in no problem at either end

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't remember having to use anything that wasn't in a standard 1/2" socket set when I had my swing arm out last.
Buzz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts