BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, hoping you can give some advice.

Few days ago I tried starting my 2005 F650 GS, but it wouldn't even turn over. I heard a faint whining noise (hard to tell, i had earplugs in... was ready to ride) but definitely no turning over. The water temp light would continuously flash until i attempt to start it and it stops. Also noticed the digital clock or odo seemed to say "bat", so I assumed the battery needed charging, so did so.
Still nothing, most of the time it makes no noise when i press the start button, lights etc do dip a little as it would when normally starting. Doesn't say "bat" on the clock or odo anymore. I did try swapping for a known good battery, though its exactly the same.

Any ideas what might be the cause, or what I should be looking for to find out. Appreciate any help!

Some extra info; the bike probably hadn't been run in about a month or so, but stored in a fairly dry shed. I've had issues in the past where water would get into the switchgear and make it tricky to start etc. but i don't think that would be the case here! Also i can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the ignition.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hi all, hoping you can give some advice.

Few days ago I tried starting my 2005 F650 GS, but it wouldn't even turn over. I heard a faint whining noise (hard to tell, i had earplugs in... was ready to ride) but definitely no turning over. The water temp light would continuously flash until i attempt to start it and it stops. Also noticed the digital clock or odo seemed to say "bat", so I assumed the battery needed charging, so did so.
Still nothing, most of the time it makes no noise when i press the start button, lights etc do dip a little as it would when normally starting. Doesn't say "bat" on the clock or odo anymore. I did try swapping for a known good battery, though its exactly the same.

Any ideas what might be the cause, or what I should be looking for to find out. Appreciate any help!

Some extra info; the bike probably hadn't been run in about a month or so, but stored in a fairly dry shed. I've had issues in the past where water would get into the switchgear and make it tricky to start etc. but i don't think that would be the case here! Also i can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the ignition.
First check batery terminals are tight, but as you tried substitute battery unlikely. Good Earth on earth lead? Next I would look at Kill switch / switch gear and / or micro switches IE inhibitor gearbox, side stand if fitted etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First check batery terminals are tight, but as you tried substitute battery unlikely. Good Earth on earth lead? Next I would look at Kill switch / switch gear and / or micro switches IE inhibitor gearbox, side stand if fitted etc
Appreciate the tips. What should i be looking for more specifically on these items, is there a test I can do with a multimeter/test light to help isolate what the issue could be? I really suck with electrical stuff...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am i right in thinking that if i hook up the positive to the bolt on the top of the starter motor, and the negative to the ground, it should turn over? It does not for me, would be good to know if this narrows things down at all. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am i right in thinking that if i hook up the positive to the bolt on the top of the starter motor, and the negative to the ground, it should turn over? It does not for me, would be good to know if this narrows things down at all. Cheers
You are correct. If it doesn't turn over with the positive connected directly to the battery, your starter needs some attention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the motor out and it looks pretty weak, here is a short clip of it running: IMG_5841
Will charge the battery just to double check but unless it gets a lot stronger, i don't see how that could turn over the engine at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i got it running... and I'm not 100% sure what the issue was. I decided to manually turn the engine over a little by putting it in a high gear and turning the rear wheel a bit, and sure enough she turned over on the button and fired up. So what, was it just sitting in an unhappy part of the cycle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts