BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 Dakar. The drive chain tensioner cover has broken off. As a temp fix I’ve stuck it back on with glue and gaffer. My question is whether it’s safe to ride?

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Crankset Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wondering if you could cut a rectangle of steel slightly larger than the box section and drill a hole for the bolt as a temporary measure
part # 33177650081
£14 each
[/QUOTE
Cheers for the part number. Got one on order. The tensioner seems secure so will gaffer it up until the part arrives. Then just need to figure out how to fit it!

·
Registered
917 Posts
At least have a plate or large washer spanning across the box section part of the arm to stop it possibly pulling forward under load as a temp measure till you can get replacement. as load might pull it forward leading to misalignment of wheel and chain , although if spindle is correct torque theoretically it should not !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that. It is torqued correctly but I agree It needs some sort of temp fix. Is it just a case of unscrewing the adjuster to remove and then fit a plate/washer?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for that. It is torqued correctly but I agree It needs some sort of temp fix. Is it just a case of unscrewing the adjuster to remove and then fit a plate/washer?
Yeh that’s correct - just unscrew the bolt pop a large washer on and pinch it back up
I swapped the bolts on mine for some new shiney SS ones - worth doing for a couple of £ from eBay or amazon M8 x 70

·
Registered
44 Posts
litrally to fit the new one you just undo and remove the bolt pass it through the new part and do it back up
if the axel is in line, correctly torqued up and set the bolts are only used to allow the axel to move backwards equally both sides

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's almost certain that this broke because the M8 socket bolt was overtightened. They only need to pull the rear wheel spindle far back enough to tighten the chain. However, they have a habit of vibrating loose - this happened to me. I changed the internal captive M8 hex nuts to lock nuts to prevent this happening again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts