BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of questions for you wise folk here.

I am touring to Norway this summer,and getting worried about a delicate posterior problem! Now, I suspect it has more to do with a bony rear end, but nevertheless, my bum is agony after couple of hours ride. Short of getting big and fat, what do I do? Are gel pads and sheep skins as cowardly as they say?

Also, starting to feel that my low seat GS is possibly a wee bit too low, or that I at least want to try the normal seat option. I am sure this has come about because I simply have more confidence on my two wheels now after passing my test in November. Is is easy to change the seat? A simple "swap low for normal" job?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sheepskin Pad

Piglet,

I just got the Sheepskin Pad for the CS, Its much better although a little slippy but you get used to it.
I'm of to south of France at the end of June for three weeks with the bike but I think I will try putting some large bubble wrap underneath the pad, Think this should make it even better, as long as they dont pop on a large bump.

I made the trip last year and traveled 480 miles in one day without any pad, was ok but had a baboons arse at the end of the day!

I will leave a post when I get back on 20th July to let you know the outcome with my backside.

G

·
The consensus in all the forums I visit regarding the One Best Thing to buy for a bike is a better seat; and the Most Popular (in spite of its high price) is the Airhawk. Don't make the mistake of inflating it hard. Read the set up instruction that comes with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
carphone said:
If you could work with the increased height, the dakar/high seat is a serious improvement.
Mind you, if I get a soft seat, be that sheepskin or Airhawk, that may just rise me enough for now. I need to have a good sit on one before seeing if it is the right thing to do. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 04 GS has low seat, normal and high seat?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Aksherly...

Anonymous said:
leather jeans ------cyclists on racing bikes dont use chamois leather padded shorts for nothing
It's my leathers that give me Monkey Butt... but wearing padded cycling underpants, that are sold to use under normal shorts for cycling, works.

The Chammy pad helps with sweat wicking in racing shorts BTW not preventing the issue :) I do know this as I used to race in the old MBT Classics in the late eighties :) And even in Lycra Monkey Butt used to occur on really hot days, but "betty swollocks" where not an issue :-D

·
Registered
463 Posts
i had this with my gs.
i got the sheepskin pad and it is really good for the money
the ache does appear eventually though.
you could take the rubber pads out of the foot pegs to straighten your legs out a bit and then get the sheepskin pad as well!
i now have a dakar and the seat is heaven as far as i am concerned.

if you could get the dakar seat all would be solved.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: Sheepskin Pad

I have the sheepskin one from Alaska Leather as linked to above, and its pretty good. It does move around a little, and I fine myself easing myself up and around to make sure I'm seated correctly. Something I have thought of but not tried yet, it one of those rubber mats (the ones with like a mesh) which people use as non slip things on the dashboards of cars etc, and put it between the pad and the original seat. It might solve or reduce the problem.

I've just got back from Normandie, and I did the 160 miles from Portsmouth ferry to home with just a 5 minute break for fuel, and was absolutely fine in the bottom department, wheras last years trip left me with a numb bum.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: Sheepskin Pad

mike wright said:
So you're ready and trained fully for the trip then, and fluent in a multitude of languages of course
Trained ? Don't make me laugh :shock: And as for being fluent in languages, I speak two languages really well. Double Dutch and Complete Rowlocks ;) ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for advice guys!

Althought the Airhawk seemed pretty good, I could not justify that sort of money for a seat pad, so I have ordered an Alaska Butt Pad and hopefully I will be well in business for my Norway trip. I am aware it probably does not add to the street cred of the bike, but hey ho, I want to be comfy (to add to my collection of headed waistcoat, heated insoles and heated grips... :oops: )

Thanks again!
:dance:

·
Registered
463 Posts
is the cs seat a little different to the gs i wonder as i had zero slippage with the butt pad on the gs/dakar.
i know that the gs seat is slightly textured as is the dakar?
just a thought

v

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No before and after photos, but having done near 200 miles on the pad today down windy lanes and bumpy roads, I dare say it was an improvement practically although not cosmetically. It does look like a skinned bear on the seat! Will use for longer rideouts, but around town not so charming.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.