BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wanted to see if anyone has done anything interesting with the old single thumper ? My effort at a scrambler , with a nod to earlier 50's and 60's bike is attached. Next project is a early GS Dakar R100 inspired take, again using a 650 single as base bike...just need to find one that is not at silly money !!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Plant

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is a R75/80 R100 , its not an original one ,New repro off of Ebay Indian supplier. An original tank was too hard to find and too much money for what they are And they still need work to ensure they are sealed, painted etc etc. . The repro is just as good , however you will need to prep the inside of the tank with a sealer 1st and I would treat the seams on the outside with a little putty sealant as well( not loads just enough to coat the seam as an additional precaution . I didn't ...and the seam came apart ..petrol on a hot motor is not a cool look.. You will also need to cut away any little brace on the underside of the tank if it comes with one. The gap under the tank is plenty wide enough for the frame of the bike ..It does sit a little higher and forward so a small adjustment to the handel bar stays/stops may be required to prevent them knocking on the tank at full lock turn... You also have two fuel taps on each side( just visable on my bike ) which you will been to feed into 1 tube under the tank, easy to get taps and connection valves on ebay . Go for new ones as old ones the treads and ineards are normally shot to s**t.. To secure the tank at the front you may need to weld a little bracket on to bolt to the frame at the front ( down front underneath the tank) and the same at the back. I am taking the tank off of mine in the coming weeks so will take a few snaps to show what I mean . Let me know how you get on, happy to help where I can ..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts