BMW F650 Forums banner

CS Rear belt pulley collapsed :-(

9K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  YorkshireMark 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The other day when traveling home on the motorway had a nasty surprise...I was in the outside lane overtaking traffic when I lost rear drive but still the engine was running...Managed to get across the two lanes of traffic and onto the hard shoulder...After looking around the bike found that the belt had snapped :tears:...Lucky enough I was near the exit of the motorway by the services, so pushed the bike a short distance into the service's car park...

On closer inspection I discovered that the rear pulley had partly collapsed about 9 inch's of teeth were completely missing...The only conclusion I could come to is that the pulley had failed and cut the belt in the process...

I am going to dismantle my bike tomorrow so before I take apart the rear end will take some pictures of the damage and post my findings...

Paul

G
#6 ·
Scarver Pulley Collapse

Hi To All, Its my first posting on this great site. Been reading through all the posts and found this disturbing posting. I have just bought (60 miles ridden ) an F650CS which I 'm lovin'.One of the many reasons I bought it was 'cause of the belt drive and this has just freaked me out. Thankfully you had a good escape but hey.....Has this ever been recorded as happening to anyone else?

2005 F650CS 20,000 miles New belt fitted on 20,000 mile service.

#7 ·
I had my CS for over 6 years and never heard of it before Paul's misfortune. The thing is with the pulley it is possible to get small stones stuck in it, which I had, and these can deform the belt and I suppose act against the pulley as well. As with anything mechanical, faults can occur and just be isolated cases. Best thing is to just keep an eye on the belt and pulley, but don't get paranoid about it. :sunny:

G
#8 ·
I think this is a rare incident, looks like the rear pully was faulty, unless the belt was on too tight. You may have a case against the manufacturer there! Glad you ok mate, the outside lane is a bad place to be in that situation.:wave:

#9 ·
That is insane, surely there is a case to answer from the manufacturer? Is there a recomended changing time/distance for these parts?

Tony.

#10 · (Edited)
Just found this...

WHEELS
NHTSA Campaign No: 02V190000
Manufacturer's Campaign No:

Manufactured From: 01/01/2002 - 05/31/2002
Units Affected: 576
Owner Notification Date: 09/10/2002
Description of Defect

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING DEFECT, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE WHEEL COULD DEVELOP A CRACK. OVER TIME, THE CRACK COULD WORSEN TO THE POINT THAT THE WHEEL FAILED AND THE DRIVE BELT DERAILED.

Consequence of Defect

THIS WOULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF DRIVE CAPABILITY AT THE REAR WHEEL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Action

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR DRIVE BELT WHEEL. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN SEPTEMBER 10, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117, OPTION #4.

I THINK that they are talking about the pully, but its not that clear... I doubt it would effect an 05 bike, but it sounds like the same sort of problem you have had.

#12 ·
But I think the bike is not from the right year is it? I also see some marks on the drive belt wheel. If a stone was trapped in there it would also explain the damage. But it is always worth a try.
They will want to investigate it I bet. But if one would have a fault BMW would have to start checking others again.

Ton

#13 ·
Blooming Heck! I've only just seen this older thread because of Mike's reply.
Glad you got away with it Paul. What year Scarver is it ?
The early models had 2 recalls to replace that pulley because of exactly what you suffered. The corner wasn't strong enough, with the result that the belt would gradually bend the open side downwards, with a possibility of collapse.
I have never heard of one actually going though.

The pulley that was on there, did it have a copper coloured line around the inside edge of the pulley ? If so, its one of the modified ones on which thats not supposed to happen... If it didn't then its an older bike or an older pulley fitted onto a newer bike.

As I say, there were two recalls, the first one was a modified version of the original which didn't prove strong enough, and the second was to replace it a second time with the one with the copper coloured strengthening.

There was also a recall to replace the front sprocket or at least glue something in place on it if it wasn't replaced.

There have been about 8 recalls on the scarver from the earlier models for various things, all of which are done for free by BMW whether you are the original owner or not, so any Scarver owners, contact you dealer and see if there is anything outstanding for your bike, they can tell from the registration plate by looking on their computer, as the updates are controlled from a central database.

#14 ·
I suppose he was very lucky to get away with it. You could end up with one of the metal pieces going into your leg or worse even. Can you imagine this happening going downhill when you expect to use the engine as a brake.
I had a shaft drive going on me once and it feels weird when suddenly you have no drive to the back wheel anymore.

Ton

G
#15 ·
Thanks to all who responded to my concerns. Still concerned enough to think about it when I does a bit of outside laning but seems that there was a recall and my 2005 model should have been attended to if it was a factory fault.
Thanks again.

#16 · (Edited)
Morning all,

I did ring BMW Battersea back in November and was told that my pulley was not a recall on my bike (2004)... But on earlier models this was the case with many small front pulleys that had issues... If anyone knows different to this then please let me know as I will follow this up again with BMW, Thanks...

"Ware and tare really" the metal had got so thin that the pulley lost it's strength! I still think that the pulley could of been allot stronger in it's construction through!

Sorry that I haven't replied sooner to this thread I have been pretty busy recently!:roll:

I have my CS back on the road again:) just like to say a thank you to "Colt" for helping me out with the replacement pulley, thanks again Colt :thumb:

Paul

#21 ·
Morning all,

I did ring BMW Battersea back in November and was told that my pulley was not a recall on my bike (2004)... But on earlier models this was the case with many small front pulleys that had issues... If anyone knows different to this then please let me know as I will follow this up again with BMW, Thanks...
As I said above, mine had the rear pulley replaced twice and the front pulley inspected and "glued" once as recalls. Bear in mind though, that mine is the original 2001 model, and was in the first few Scarvers produced so there would be more scope for production/design issues.
How many thousand miles had your pulley done at the time of failure ? Being just about to hit the 40K mark on Rosie, I'd be best keeping a close eye on things like this :)

#23 ·
belt pulley failure

Hi Paul ,
I have been a member nearly a year now , i can remember pictures posted last year just the same as yours . Fortunately from memory that rider managed to stop safely as well so two in less than a year is not good . Not any more reliable than the old chain it would seem .
johnny R :(

#24 ·
Hi Paul ,
I have been a member nearly a year now , i can remember pictures posted last year just the same as yours . Fortunately from memory that rider managed to stop safely as well so two in less than a year is not good . Not any more reliable than the old chain it would seem .
johnny R :(

Hi johnny

I still like the belt drive on the CS I just feel that the rear pulley should of been better engineered in its strength also the cost of a new belt is about £200 now!! that's just stupid compared to say a decent chain and socket for the GS...

It would be interesting to find out how riders of the BMW F800S and ST and how they get on with the belt system on there machines...

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.