BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seem to be having a few strange happenings on the old beast from the east at the mo.
will be posting them up over the next few days.
this is one.
on the left hand side of the engine (GS) you have a black rubber coolant hose.
where it runs into the engine itself, theres a kinda circular housing with some bolts.
underneath that part of the engine toward the front there seems to be a small hole that is letting coolant drip!
Is it supposed to have a bolt in it?
Never noticed it befor? Have you?
I found it when i noticed the split in my exhaust pipe ( see remus post ).
Any advice greatly recieved.
Looks like that 12000 mile service is needed. Better start saving then!
Valkon.

G

·
Hi Valkon

No... there shouldn't be a bolt in there. It's the water pump housing, driven by a shaft from the engine. The shaft has an oil seal to keep the oil in the engine, and seals to keep the water in the water pump housing ... one of these seals is on its way out. Without the little hole water would get into the engine oil :uhoh:

Hope this helps

www.adventure.gs

G

·
This is spooky. I've just come on here to report a fault with my coolant leaking, and what do I find but a post on exaclty the same issue. I have just gone out to my bike which I haven't ridden for about two months (it's Ducati weather) to find a pool of greeney water on the garage floor. It also appears to be coming out of the little hole under the water housing.
Thanks for your advice Micky. It's not that I don't believe you because I do, but I am just interested to see how the little hole stops the water entering the oil. Is it to allow the water out in cases like this when the seal goes? Am I right in guessing that without the hole, the pressure of the pump would force the water past the oil seal?
I am also interested to know why this has gone now. Is it because I haven't run the bike? Please tell me Valkon, has yours been stood for a while or does it get regualr use.
Also, I am not the most technically minded person but I will attempt things if not too difficult. Is this a job for the dealers or should I be attempting it myself.

G

·
Hi Spooky (!) ....

It doesn't help any seal to be stood doing nothing, can dry up, go hard, brittle etc. The old saying eh... use it or lose it :big grin:

Yup... without somewhere to go the water would get past the oil seal and into the crankcases, so the vent hole lets it out, no pressure, lets you see it. Appears that your water pump seal is on its way out....

As the engine warms up of course your cooling system becomes pressurised... splut!

Hope you get it sorted. My 'bike now done 38,000 miles, girlfriends did 80,000 miles (before being written off!) with no problems in the water dept.

www.adventure.gs

G

·
There has been quite a bit of correspondence on this subject over the last few months. To save you trawling through previous posting I have copied a reply I gave a few weeks ago.
"Hi, some hopefully helpful tips for the job:
I got my waterpump kit mailorder from Motorworks - 01484 353600, along with a waterpump cover gasket and a side cover gasket. I also had to buy a new clutch arm as it had seized on the spline and I had to split the old one to remove it (it is soft alloy, corrodes onto the steel splines and breaks easily once the bolt is removed). Try removing the arm before you order the rest of the bits.
Don't try and remove the side cover without removing the clutch arm - as the cover moves out the arm moves on its rack and jams against the frame.
If you remove the water hoses (not totally neccessary as you can leave the pump cover attached and just lift it out of the way), you will also need two new jubilee hose clips to replace the factory fitted ones which are not re-usable.
You will also have to move the oil feed pipe away from the cover. I undid the lower banjo bolt and carefully bent the pipe away and down to free the clutch cover. The correct way is to remove the pipe completely but it is a sod to diconnect at the top end, particularly if your machine has ABS (the ABS pump gets in the way). Don't forget you will need to replace the coolant.
Good luck, if you need me to explain any of this you can contact me on 01442 381004."
The whole set of parts came to about £50 (plus coolant) and was a fairly easy job. Check the Chaingang web site for more details.
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive been using the bike for three weeks solid through spain, so im not sure why its happening right now.
thanks for the feedback
tops as usual
v

·
Registered
20 Posts
The same thing happened to me last year and I had the work done under warranty. However I was advised not to ride the bike in case coolant and oil mixed and messed up the engine. However I had riden it for weeks without noticing the leak and no harm was done.

Chain gang site very good at how to do work. Good luck with this.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts