BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I approaching the end of my warrantee period and am experiencing some common problems with my F650GS, namely.
SHBs changed at 12K service.
Starter switch, doesn?t seem to like the cold, move bars full lock both ways and it ?usually? works.
Corrosion./flaking paint, cleaning the bike this week I noticed a large area (?2? square) on the engine casing is bare of paint.

Anything else I should be looking for ?
I should point out that I think the 650 is a superb bike, I ride it all year in some awful weather and I have been known to take it off-road for a bit of ruff and tumble. :riding:
My dealer has been superb and is happy to look after any warrantee issue.
I just don?t want to miss anything, being a tight Scott n all ;)
Cheers

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Starter switch, doesn?t seem to like the cold, move bars full lock both ways and it ?usually? works

Thats got to be a loose connection for sure.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
mike wright said:
Starter switch, doesn?t seem to like the cold, move bars full lock both ways and it ?usually? works
Its not one of the "well known" 650GS problems as far as I'm aware, might be worth looking into a little deeper before the warantee period is up.
SHB's however are known to be made of a metal which is as soft as butter and seem to need changing every 12,000 miles or so.

Andy

·
Registered
874 Posts
starter fault ?

I had starter problems and found that the wires from the switch gear to the plug-in connector to the wiring harness plug had a fault there are 2 wires that are crimped together in the block from the switch gear and one of these was poor and was broken due to being bent over and in my opinion over crimped. This block is to the left front of the battery. Hope this may be of help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is this a grease nipple into the steering head bearings? Sounds neat, are there any pictures available?

I was considering adding grease nipples to the centre stand as the small hole for a lube point is hopeless.

Adrian

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
SHBs

Yes...can you think of an easier way of greasing the Steering Head than a Grease Nipple?

Not managed to take a photo of this mod that shows anything relevant...maybe I need a better camera :doh: will keep trying.

Grease Nipples seem to be a dieing breed these days, much underated, I remember 1980s Yamahas of mine having them on swing arm pivots as well as Steering Heads. Where are they now?

Sorry...Old Git Rambling...... :big grin:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy80F said:
mike wright said:
Its not one of the "well known" 650GS problems as far as I'm aware, might be worth looking into a little deeper before the warantee period is up. Andy
I have my bike booked in tomorrow (for the pads carcher2k, at my dealers expense :) ) and mentioned the other issues that I would like them to look at. Service manager said that he had another 650 in the workshop with the same problem and he would order the parts.
That?s why I thought the starter switch was a common fault :think:

Ill update this thread when I know more.
Cheers

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for this, looks great. Is it really that simple? How did you know where to site the nipple? Ohh err

Adrian

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
G

·
Water pump seals have been changed under warranty- mine were before 15000km.

There have also been a few instances where the wiring harness has been incorrectly routed behind the shock preload adjuster , just where it leaves the frame and goes over to the engine, and it shorts through on either the adjuster bracket or the rim at the back of the adjuster . The starter cable is in the bunch at this point so it makes a biit of a mess of the whole harness- you can take my word for it.

And the current intake manifold is thicker than the origonal, with bigger reinforcing ribs , so the tendancy for some to split must be a known weakness- the split usually starts on the inside radius just out from the flange at the head. Again , you can take my word for it

And the pop rivits which hold the Possum scraper thing above the rear whel have been known to slacken off, and the damm thing fall appart and get jammed in the rear wheel. You can take my word for it.

Throttle and clutch cables have been known to start fraying too, within 20000 km, and chains and sprockets wont have much life in them after 1500km but these will be classified as normal wear and tear , even although just about every other bike you will ever own having components which will last at least three times as long

·
Registered
50 Posts
My CS trip meter developed a mind of its own, at around 6,000 miles :doh:

Replaced under warranty, and bike back to zero miles :cool: hehehe

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anonymous said:
and chains and sprockets wont have much life in them after 1500km
1500km = 932 miles :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

The parts hadn't arrived ! When they do my dealer shall change the starter switch. Water pump cover and a section of the engine casing. All under warrantee :-D

G

·
Sorry , I ment 15000 km .

And yes , I am a little bit pissed off with BMW , particularly as, when it is going , the GS is my all time favorite bike .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts