BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the stripdown today...
Actually I was pleasantly surprised how remarkably simple and easy it is to tear down the body panels on the F650ST
ANd also of how "relatively clean" the bike is despite its age .

Now that everything is "peeled off" I can give it a good clean underneath the skin, check for possible leaks,
order parts and concumables and prepare for the major maintenance works.

And I can also start cleaning, de-greasing and prepping the body panels for "Dipping" in matt black.

Pictures say more than words... so here we go !

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Automotive design Gas Motor vehicle Bag Fender
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Plant Automotive design
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Fender Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like your kitchen is getting cluttered up with bike plastics. I hope no one accidentally turns the stove top on.
The fork stanchions look like they have a fair bit of rust pitting on them, hopefully it is just dirt otherwise there is a fair bit of sanding and polishing work to do.
Have fun with the work and the bike.
Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the kitchen is a nice dry and warm place to store that ... Lol
About those forks, good observation but indeed it is 98% dirt in the oil that was leaking from the forks, and new seals + dust caps are on their way. For sure I will do a thorough cleanup before reassembling. Have the ultra fine steel wool ready :) I'm hoping to give the plastics a good wash and rinse today and then I can get on with coating them in SprayPlast later this week.
I have a 12v+USB handlebar socket, GPS, Cell phone holder etc... ready and a VDO voltmeter standing by... So plenty of little things to do over the next few days and week(s). Fortunately the engine and drive train are ok. Solid basis to work from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And then the fun began... Bring out the spray cans (SprayPlast) and et buzzzzzy.

You'll notice that some parts are matt black and others more "shiny".
The shiny ones were already black plastic so the just got a clear coat of the SprayPlast (equivalent to PlastiDip) coating
The parts tha t were yellow got the matt black spray treatment.

I hope this will turn out OK and I'll have a nice, sober, black and "Bad-Ass" bike....

I kind of over-estimated the capacity of the black spray cans, so as a result I was not able to apply 6 or 7 cotas to all parts.
I'm now waiting for another can to arrive so I can finish the job.

White Luggage and bags Bag Grey Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Fender Bicycle part

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Vehicle door

Brown Bag Automotive design Tints and shades Beige

Automotive lighting Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive design Fender Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive design Motor vehicle Headgear Helmet Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one, looks really good.
By the time you've finished how many cans will you have used? This will give a more accurate coverage rate than the manufacturers figures.
Thanks
When this ppupy is all "painted", I will have used the following :
  • 3 cans of 500 ml matt black for the yellow plastics (and I got a 4th one as spare for touch-ups)
  • 1 can of 500 ml clear coat for the parts that were already black plastic (also have a spare just in case)
I am putting down 2 very thin coats (to start the adhesion process) and then 2 medium (for coverage) and 2 heavy (for thickness and smooth "removability") coats on all the parts. So 6 coats in total

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can hardly wait for the extra cans to arrive so I can finish up the paintwork.
And then replace the fork seals , drain and replace all liquids (oil, fork oil, coolant, brake fluid,...) Put in all new filters, spark plugs and get that beast reassembled, stickered up and on the road. Hoping that early next week I'll have my license plate and the indurance all sorted out. Yeah, Baby, Yeah.... I have had over a dozen bikes over the last 3 decades, but it is always exciting to get it on the road for the first time after the checkup and maintenance..

By the way, here is last year's project... KZ250 from 1980 (all digital dash / LED / fresh ...) That one will probably come up for sale in a few weeks or so. (In thsi pc, the exhausts had not been wrapped yet)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design

Some more small things.... Added some wiring for voltmeter, driving lights, 12v and USB outlets, switch and LED indicators. And next up is the engine crash bar set.... Sanded and covered in 2 coats of primer. Hope I never need it in an actual crash, and just use it for looks...
Automotive tire Rectangle Office supplies Gas Auto part

Plant Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Outdoor furniture

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Bicycle handlebar

Motor vehicle Car Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Vehicle

Vehicle Wood Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Bumper Natural material Gas Electric blue

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Tire

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Gauge Plant

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks good Dani, what did you do about a temperature guage. My bike had a temperature guage where you have put the voltmeter, I have heard that some had a clock there instead.
Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good Dani, what did you do about a temperature guage. My bike had a temperature guage where you have put the voltmeter, I have heard that some had a clock there instead.
Pete
Hi Pete,

Mine had a clock there, which was not really working as it should. So I decicded to remove the clock from the housing, 3D print an adapter in which I could fit a mini LED voltmeter and 3 extra LEDs, put that in, put some "mirror finish" adhesive foil on the inside of the glass, then glue it all together again and mounted it back in the dashboard/cockpit. The temperature monitoring on 97 ST is just a red temp indicator light on the right hand side of the dash, in the indicator light cluster.

The 3 LEDs show the status of ...
(1) the lights : on/off (Red LED on top of the voltmeter)
(2) the extra driving lights mounted on the front (White LED below voltmeter)
(3) the 12V and USB outlets mounted on the handlebars (Blue LED below voltmeter)

The old clock mechanism has now been added to my ever growing collection of "one-fine-day-I-will-fix-this" re-useable items. :)

PS/ dont mind the lavender pink colour of the 3D printed adapter... It was some leftover PLA filament which I spray painted black anyway... :) :)

Cutting mat Purple Plumbing fixture Violet Toilet seat

Purple Font Gas Magenta Rectangle

Hand Cutting mat Finger Fluid Circle
Automotive lighting Finger Measuring instrument Laptop Gauge

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The "Crash bars" have been removed, sanded down, treated agains rust , primed and had their initial coat of paint.
3 or 4 more coats of gold and then 3 coats of (matt) clear laquer to follow...
Plant Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood
Wood Yellow Vehicle Electrical wiring Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Steering wheel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Starting to come together....
Slowly but surely, but surely slowly.
And while all wiring is exposed, I added a trickle charger cable with a 3 pin XLR connector. Always nice to be able to "plug and charge" while it is in the garage. Have that on most of my bikes...
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Wood

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Hood Gas

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle brake Tire

Badge Body jewelry Jewellery Font Emblem

Light Audio equipment Automotive lighting Electronic device Gadget

Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 15 of 15 Posts