BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
your weekend could also be spoiled like my wife's. First good day in weeks up in Scotland so we decided to go thru to St Andrews yesterday. About 5 miles to Cupar and I don't see her in the mirror anymore, tun around and find her stranded next to the road. First thing I see is the chain came off. But I adjsuted it Friday eve. Take off the front sprocket cover and there is no sprocket. Long story short I found the sprocket on the other side of the road about 200 meters up the road. and then RAC had to come and pickup the bike and bing it home.

When we bought the bike in February thye replaced the chain and sprocket as part of the deal. In the manual it states to use a new circlip everytime you take it off. Another lesson for me and going to stock up on a few Monday. Then the second bad news fo the day, BMW Glasgow spares dept isn't open on Saturdays. Phone any Japanese o Italian dealer on a Sunday and thye'll have spares to sell. So replaced the

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is a very good idea to squirt the circlip with chain lube when you do the chain. You were very lucky not to suffer major damage to the bike or to yourself. When mine fell of it locked the back wheel up. If it had happened at high speed, I might not have been able to write this now.

Also check the fit of the sprocket on the gearbox shaft splines. Any significant wear means that the sprocket is chafing away at the circlip as it rotates.
It is a pretty poor sprocket mounting system, no in fact it is bloody dangerous, and BMW ought to be shot for it :cussing: Go for the later model with a huge great nut holding the sprocket on.

Steve

G

·
front sprocket

mine came off today lucky i m still alive rear wheel locked solid at 60 mph bmw should do a product recall to all bikes with this deadly design fault

·
Registered
874 Posts
circlip

clean ft sprocket & circlip (make sure circlip is fitted correct way round) with surfaces clean apply a little instant gsk to bond clip to sproc problem solved. (they changed to a nut 97?98 ? i think.

G

·
you can loose front srockets that have a nut and tab washer i was pillion on a friends gpz100 when he lost the tab washer and sprocket luky for us
we didnot drop the bike after the aa took us home he replaced the lot with new i supervised him doing the work before i would get on the back
he sold the bike a week later to an aquaintence of mine that i ran into about a month later.
he was playing hell about the fact that it spat him of when the nut locking washer and front sprocket came off and locked up the the rear wheel

i have a 94 funduro and you need to make sure that the clip is on the right way round otherwise it will be shed

G

·
circlip

I've contacted BMW about this potential death trap design. This model needs an immediate recall for a lock nut. True, lock nuts can come off but it's far, far less likely than just a circlip. I am trying to force BMW to recall all affected motorcycles for a lock nut design to be put on, and anyone who values their life or anyone elses should contact myself, Steve Walsh on 0114 2204086. The worse thing is that for a motorcycle to pass its MOT there mustn't be anything likely to impede the rotatation of the rear wheel. The circlip is located underneath a cover which the testing station is not allowed to remove to check. Your circlip could be on its last legs and the MOT station deem it safe to use. The design was changed for a reason. TO PREVENT DEATH AND SERIOUS INJURY. There is no way I would consider selling my f650 on to someone else knowing they could have an accident like I had, or worse.

G

·
>>There is no way I would consider selling my f650 on to someone else knowing they could have an accident like I had, or worse.<<

Make a gift of it to me and I?ll sign a waiver. Do you really think BMW are going to recall 10 year old bikes?

F650Mal.....always looking for another bike to crash. :wall:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.