BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran my f65o funduro out of gas on the maiden voyage home from the dealer on accident and the check oil light came on as my bike lost power. I have checked the oil multiple times since then and the level stayed the same. Every time I start and stop my bike the oil light turns red until I start driving then it shuts off. Is this normal or is this a sign that something besides my oil level is wrong??

I welcome all thoughts!

bz

·
Registered
188 Posts
Supposedly normal. Mine never turns on but mine is broken, keep meaning to fix it but I'll just watch it manually. The oil system is only pressurised when the engine is running meaning the switch is only active when the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Do you mean that when idling when hot, oil pressure warning light comes on, but goes off when revs increase?
If so oil may need changing (thin when hot) pressure switch not working correctly, comes on when pressure lower tahn switch settings , oil pressure relief valve seating worn, spring worn.
Measure pressure with gauge,if fine, check oil pressure switch/ oil pressure relief value, spring can be replaced on some, not sure on these bikes, or complete unit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to clarify: My oil light is on when I turn the key on but when I actually start the bike it instantly shuts off and stays off until I kill the engine; then it turns back on. Thank you both for the insight.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeh, red light with engine not running and ignition on, should go out as the engine runs and the oil pressure builds up. Also regularly check the oil tank level. it checks pressure, not the amount in the tank!, it will not light when running untill there is NO oil left, by then it is a bit too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts