BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a little trip next week to the Nurburgring and the Eifel region returning via the Ardenne.

I'm going out from Harwich to Hook of Holland and returning Calais/Dover. Are there any savings/vouchers/discounts to be had or is it a matter of trolling through the various internet sites?

ALSO, I have my accomodation sorted near the Nurburgring, but what hotel chains do people recommend in France? Formula 1 is too cheap with no ensuite, what's in the next price bracket?

Any help appreciated!

·
cryospeed1
161 Posts
The tunnel is ok for a short journey time cost us about £39 out but as we didnt book in advance and just turned up for the return it was £94.00.
If you arrive early you can usually get onto an earlier train. take something to drink as its a bit warm..

·
Registered
616 Posts
what hotel chains do people recommend in France? Formula 1 is too cheap with no ensuite, what's in the next price bracket?

Any help appreciated![/QUOTE]

Personally I wouldn't recommend any, unless bland accommodation is your thing. There are loads of small hotels in France which have far more charm and character than any franchise, look for the Logis de France sign. Alternatively you could look for bed & breakfast, Chambre d'Hote, which you will see signs for practically everywhere. I've stayed in some crackers. If you arrive at a destination early enough seek out the tourist office, Syndicat d'Initiative, they can give you a list of local lodgings, then go for a coffee and a pastry whilst mulling over the options

Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cyclos,
Just a few weeks ago whilst in France I found the alternative to Formula 1 hotels.

They are 'Premiere Classe ' yes that is their name all over France and ***8364;40 a night quite a good box room with private shower and wc. .Found them to have no character or french zing but very practical and clean.
A good breakfast for ***8364;4 good value.

link is premiereclass.com and they will book any of their hotels by phone and speak english on the head office number 0033 1 73 21 98 00

Hope this helps

Gurny

·
Registered
31 Posts
cheep ferry crossings

Cyclos.On my post the price came out with a lot of numbers !not intended I even edited it but when it came back on screen they were back:dunno:
so here i will try again fro the room ***8364;40 for brekkie ***8364;4
lets see if this comes out right
Gurny

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

Ribblerouser, I totally agree, but sometimes I just want to ride all day, arrive late and basically not have to be sociable and make conversation. And for those (rare) occasions a simple, cheap hotel that's easy to find is a bonus.

Gurny - good info, it's that sort of recommendation I'm after. I'm sure it's not the most characterful hotel, or the best breakfast, but at least I can scope out a few on the map and have them up my sleeve.

I'm staying in a lovely place in Adenau and another amazing and cheap B+B in Bastogne so I don't mind staying in a chain hotel one other night...

·
Registered
543 Posts
what hotel chains do people recommend in France? Formula 1 is too cheap with no ensuite, what's in the next price bracket?

Any help appreciated!

Personally I wouldn't recommend any, unless bland accommodation is your thing. There are loads of small hotels in France which have far more charm and character than any franchise, look for the Logis de France sign. Alternatively you could look for bed & breakfast, Chambre d'Hote, which you will see signs for practically everywhere. I've stayed in some crackers. If you arrive at a destination early enough seek out the tourist office, Syndicat d'Initiative, they can give you a list of local lodgings, then go for a coffee and a pastry whilst mulling over the options

Regards[/QUOTE]

I'd echo this, the Logis de France is the way ahead. They also have an English language website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts