BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to go over to Belgium for three days at the end of the month. Going on a Thursday and coming back on a Saturday. Norfolkline ferries quote £46 return. Seems a reasonable price

G

·
Simon, that was the quote I got a few weeks ago. It seems reasonable enough and Norfolk Line come well recommended. The advantage with using Dunkerque is that as there is only one ferry operator you should be on your way very quickly once on French soil. It's also the most convenient for the battlefields should that be your thing (Ypres being less than an hour away)

G

·
I used Norrfolk Line in july - recommended. Jump all the queues, first on, first off, on the motorways before the caravans have even moved. Ace. :riding:

I think I paid 57 quid :think:

G

·
Simon, I don't know if you've done a battlefield tour before but, being a bit of a WW1 enthusiast, may I suggest going to Tyne Cot cemetery and perhaps Langemark German cemetery only (unless you have a specific interest elsewhere). Tours such as this can easily develop into a graveyard trawl where you can run out of time to see anything else.
I'd also recommend the following on a first Flanders visit:
Hooge Crater Museum (on the N8 road out of "Wipers"...this will take you across the roundabout with the N37 which denotes the site of "Hellfire Corner" (not the place to be 90 years ago)...
The Cloth Hall, Ypres. Magnificently restored to as it was in 1914, it being totally destroyed by shellfire throughout the war, it houses an interesting museum...
The Trenches of Death (preserved) on the Yser River...
The Menin Gate at 8 pm on any night. A MUST see.
I'd also recommend one of Major & Mrs. Holts' Battlefield Guides (The Western Front North being a good one for your tour).

Whatever you do though, enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BillyBoy for the information. I will be there from Thursday afternoon until Saturday afternoon so hope to visit various museums etc. This is my first battlefield tour so there should be plenty to do and see

·
Registered
722 Posts
I book through the BMF. Even with the motorhome. Don't know if they do the one you want.
I just tell them I’m a member of the BMW Club as all members are affiliated.
Worth a call.
>>>>> http://www.bmf.co.uk/benefits/a-motorsport-travel.html

Motorsport Travel is the provider of discount ferry crossing including Eurotunnel. There are special rates on P&O Stena and Hoverspeed: 30% off P&O European Ferries plus a special deal on cabins for BMF members. 35% off Sea France also Condor Lines, Stena (Ireland and Holland) DFDS and Irish Ferries offer special rates. Savings for four-wheels as well as two. Call 01759 301010 fax 01759 301030 email [email protected] or book on line at www.motorsport-travel.com

Calls may be put in a queue but please be patient.

For further information on Touring go to BMF Touring

·
Registered
714 Posts
Simon Woods said:
I am planning to go over to Belgium for three days at the end of the month. Going on a Thursday and coming back on a Saturday. Norfolkline ferries quote £46 return. Seems a reasonable price
Speedferries are doing 38 pounds return for a bike at the moment, but they run Dover - Boulogne which is 50 miles west of Dunkirk by motorway. Unless you fancy the extra ride for the hell of it in France, then it will work out about the same to use either byt he time you have added the 100 miles petrol in, but its an alternative option. You can book a single with Speedferries, so you could maybe do two different routes, for the hell of it ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going tomorrow morning. Leaving at 0600, catch the NorfolkLine ferry at 0800. Weather forecast is little or no rain so that is a plus point. I plan to visit quite a few of the recommended sites. I will write a report when I return. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Simon Woods said:
I am going tomorrow morning. Leaving at 0600, catch the NorfolkLine ferry at 0800. Weather forecast is little or no rain so that is a plus point. I plan to visit quite a few of the recommended sites. I will write a report when I return. :)
have a great trip!... Im looking forward to the write up.... Im also looking forward to out weekend trip :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts