BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve ordered some SS bolts (the M8 70mm ones) to replace the scabby standard ones can I just unscrew the old ones and put the new ones in ?
thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’ve ordered some SS bolts (the M8 70mm ones) to replace the scabby standard ones can I just unscrew the old ones and put the new ones in ?
thanks
I've taken them apart to clean/grease a few times . From memory, there's a block inside each swing arm made up of two halves and inside that is a standard nut that the long adjusting bolt screws in to. Last time I had it apart was a few years ago so I might be wrong, but that's what I remember.

So I guess you can just unscrew old and screw new in but maybe it's worth having it out and giving it a clean/grease while your there? From memory, you just need to slide the axle out and then persuade the blocks out. The nut/bolt can get a bit grotty and start to seize up.

Buzz

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just realised you've got a G650. Mine is an F twinspark - not sure if they're the same or not.

Buzz.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update
just removed the old ones and greased and inserted the new SS ones

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've taken them apart to clean/grease a few times . From memory, there's a block inside each swing arm made up of two halves and inside that is a standard nut that the long adjusting bolt screws in to. Last time I had it apart was a few years ago so I might be wrong, but that's what I remember.

So I guess you can just unscrew old and screw new in but maybe it's worth having it out and giving it a clean/grease while your there? From memory, you just need to slide the axle out and then persuade the blocks out. The nut/bolt can get a bit grotty and start to seize up.

Buzz
Hi Buzz,
There is a trap for young players with the adjustment bolts which occurs after adjusting chain tension and or checking wheel alignment. These bolts are used to set the rear wheel axle and are very precise. The next step is to tighten the rear axle nut, usually with a tension wrench which will lock the axle in the desired position. But there is another vital next step, the adjustment bolts must now be tightened otherwise they will vibrate loose; as happened to me. Good luck Alf

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi Buzz,
There is a trap for young players with the adjustment bolts which occurs after adjusting chain tension and or checking wheel alignment. These bolts are used to set the rear wheel axle and are very precise. The next step is to tighten the rear axle nut, usually with a tension wrench which will lock the axle in the desired position. But there is another vital next step, the adjustment bolts must now be tightened otherwise they will vibrate loose; as happened to me. Good luck Alf
Yes I agree. Some bikes have locking nuts on the adjusters but not these so nipping them up after tightening the axle bolt is the way to go. I learned that the hard way as well (y).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts