BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I changed the oil on my Dakar to the BMW recommended Castrol GP which should be alright since I had the same oil in previously. Problem is that the Blo**y clucth slips so grossly I cant even wheelie in 1st. (No joke on my wheely ability ok?!) I cant see it being the clutch plates yet cos its only done 30k miles with care and all.

Any views?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funnily enough when I went and bought the oil from Bristol Mottorraddd the said that BMW recommend the GPS but they have found that it causes slippage. I am perplext as I think I was using the same oil before too an didnt have problems.

Ah well......

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't pull a wheelie on my ST either. NEver bothered me, although reading this I'm wondering if there's more to it than opening up on a green traffic light... ?!? Is there? Or is mine a lemon?:dunno:

I always thought at 190Kg and 48HP they're not powerful enough.

Logan

·
Registered
722 Posts
The ol trick with slipping clutches. Stick the front wheel up against a strong wall. top gear, feed in clutch against a revving motor, let in clutch, when its squeegeed all the oil off the plates, the motor will stall. :whistle:
If it doesn?t, strip and inspect the plates. :think:
You can shim the springs ( check their length against spec) up with washers to preload them. That?s the old racer trick. :riding: Too much and it won't release enough (coil bound) and drag.
:wall:

G

·
logan
try pulling away from the lights hard then quickly snap off the throtle and snap open it hard, with you accelerating then releasing it the forks momentaraly compress and when you go again the wheel should lift, but you have to be very careful, both doing it this way and also clutching it up in second i have almost flipped it. Be warned! :dance:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not that would ever try this on a public road, officer!....

But yes, I'll have to give it a try. The only thing I can do predictably is shoot off a traffice light sliding sideways, but in a straight line (if that makes sense.) Doesn't seem to impress anyone, but make's em scared like hell!

Logan

·
Registered
722 Posts
>>>try pulling away from the lights hard <<< go flat stick over the Mountain at Cadwell. With weight ON the bars to stop it flipping. :naughty: See my web page :riding:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.