BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before Christmas I lashed out on a pair of Blue Vision bulbs by Philips.In addition to letting me see better I'm sure that the different colour when riding in darkness in a line of traffic helps to differentiate me to approaching vehicles which may think that I'm part of the car behind me;unless of course I've got a Merc up my bum(so to speak).Cheers Tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been using the Blue Vision bulb for over a year now and agree that the slightly different look to the light does stand out a bit. It's not blue however and doubt it replicates the effect of the HID type of car light. Its surprising that BMW have not put the same efforts into the lights on their bikes as they have to their cars.

Andy80F

G

·
It will be *interesting* to see how much better the lights on the new F650GS are when they are eventually unveiled in March :whistle: as that is one of the improvements they've made, as well as the twin-spark.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I don't know about GSs, but the twin lights on a CS are pretty darned good IMHO. I assume these are the same as on the 1150s, and from their newer cars, so I guess there is some exchange of technology.

Also, I seem to recall that the CS (maybe GS too) shared some combustion chamber technology with the M series cars.

G

·
I remember when I bought my CS that much was made of the uprated engine. I may be wrong here but, up until the latest models, the F series used Austrian Rotax engines but now use BMW built engines with M series technology. Of course, now there is the prospect of even better performance with the new Twin-spark engines. Not that the F series has ever had anything but a great engine.

G

·
The only real difference to the *new* range of F650 engines is that the cylinder head has been developed from the 'M' series for *better* combustion and to cope with the fuel-injection. Other than that there's not much difference, even though they are now built in Germany.

The better *performance* in in the very latest twin-spark engines is not in brake-horse-power, but that maximum torque is achieved at lower revs and with even better fuel-economy, which will be nicer. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tht origin of current 650 engines is still Austria.As I understand it the cylinder heads and possibly the camshafts are made by BMW and then sent to Rotax where the rest of the bits are added.The completed motors then travel back to Spandau where the bikes are assembled.This is a good thing as I recall the former service manager at Pidcocks telling me when I owned an R850 that the Austrian motor was the most reliable unit in the whole BMW lineup;bearing in mind the miles knocked up by some of the K range this is praise indeed.Cheers Tony

·
Registered
332 Posts
Didn't I read that the 'M' cylinder head produced an extra 8bhp over the earlier version, but that the addition of the "cat" soaked up 6 of those extra 8. Result : Power increased from 48 to 50 bhp.

Now then... take away the "cat" ..... hmmm!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.