BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
cryospeed1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi a bit mystified! Got back last week from a 4000 mile trip down to italy on my 1999 funduro which I have owned for a couple of months. Bike never missed a beat no probs at all. The bike has been stood about 5 days and this morning it cut out after 100 yds. Pushed it back and so far it has seen off 3 20 amp fuses which I am assuming is the one for ignition. The bikes starts and runs for about 30 seconds and then the fuse goes again. I have done a visual check on wiring and all seems in order, the battery connections seem fine. A new Voltage regulator was fitted last year.
Any ideas please?

·
cryospeed1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional information

The fuse blows as soon as the spades are inserted and thats with ignition off and kill switch off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Does sound like it will be a short somewhere(but where).
Try and trace the wire to the battery then just systematicaly work your way through. Also check the wiring loom going to the ignition barrel. disconnect this at the first connector you come to away from the barrel.
Finding shorts can be a pain the arse:uhoh:

·
cryospeed1
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
getting there

Hi thanks for the replies, The only way the short disappears is if I bypass the red white lead from the 20 amp fuse to the red white in the connector block for the ignition switch in the headlight fairing .
With this bypassed everything works as it should
Looks like the easiest fix after having dismantled and checked all the switchgear is to run a new well protected lead to the switch from the fuse.
Does anyone know if there is another connector on the red white line between the one in the headlight and the fuse?
Many thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts