BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. so those of you that know this site, know that Jim had his bike stolen a couple of weeks ago, and I was selling myF650 F.L.
Well we have tied up thanks to this web site,Cheers Trevor & Tim Co :use sparingly:
Anyhow Jim is flying up on Wednesday this week to collect his new bike and is looking to travel home up the West coast (6/700 mile journey) I was looking for some pointers from anyone that has done this trip before, no motorways/ boring roads, he has time for a mini adventure (oh to have teachers holidays) and needs to aquaint himself with his new bike :dance:
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Oh and did I mention I should collect my G.S. on friday (YEA HAA)
Cheers for now
Highlander

G

·
Re: Route South

Highlander said:
Anyhow Jim is flying up on Wednesday this week to collect his new bike and is looking to travel home up the West coast Highlander
:think:

Shouldn't that be DOWN the west coast???

or are we going up to London via Mull & Skye??? :whistle:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Anything is possible when your only guides are intuition, a wing and a prayer. I lack even a rudimentary homing instinct. On a good day I can think of myslf as an intrepid explorer. Usually I think of myself as hopelessly lost.

Still, 6 weeks until school starts so that should give me a fighting chance of getting back...

Full ride report when I get back!

- Jim

G

·
I've done similar *aimless* rides in the past and if it's a good week forecast I take the tent on the back and do say 75-150 miles per day, starting early and finding a campsite early, then "exploring" for the rest of the day, either on foot or on the bike.

If the forecast is so-so I'll have some money in my pocket for B&Bs to save setting up a tent on a boggy camp-site.

It looks like your *simple* ride home could be turned into quite an adventure. You could *tack* home (like a sailing boat), doing a bit of tacking in Scotland for a start, then tack your way back via the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District, the Peak District etc., till you finally berth in London.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's got to be the A82 all the way to Glasgow... Be warned though Jim - When you get to the end, you'll want to turn round and do it all again!!

From there, my choice would prob be M8/A8 to Edinburgh then join the A68sth from which you will find a nice choice of 'B' roads all the way to Newcastle, Mind the Gatso's though :naughty:. Next step - nice wee run over the Pennines A686 to Penrith and the A592 to Windermere. From then on I wouldn't have a clue but these are definetly worth a look..

Safe journey Jim.
A J

·
Registered
147 Posts
:-D should be fun, if you are going to do it in in days not "A" day, and find yourself near Chester then i am only 19 miles away. I have a spare room,
save you on the B+B we could get a curry and a bottle of Vino. mind, you WILL have to say a day or two before you get here as my spare room is
full of good stuff (junk) i will need to hide it :cheers: :cheers: Lyn.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for the help and advice chaps. I'm not going to be able to take as long as I'd like - I'm aiming to be back here sometime Friday. So it'll be the scenic route down towards Manchester I think then most likely down the quick but dull M1 on Friday.

Lyn - tempting though your offer is (I can't believe I'm turning down a curry!), it'll have to wait till later in the summer? I'll be passing through places I've never been and have always wanted to see, so sometime over the next 6 weeks I'll be making a return, more leisurely, trip!

If you're anywhere between Fort William and London on Thursday or Friday and you see a silver Funduro, beep and wave! And if I'm not heading more or less south, please flag me down and point me in the right direction!

I can't thank all of you enough for all the help, advice and support over the last couple of weeks. Cheers, everyone.

- Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
:-D Happy new bike, just take care on that long ride home, lots of stops for coffee and rest. OH! and to check the map. :)
Lyn.

PPS: same goes for the rest of you chaps and chapessessessessess!!
( it would be best if you were a girl all alone ) :-D :-D :-D
if you need a bed when this side of the world just give me a call.
Stay safe all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.