BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I want a battery that I do not have to babysit. The OEM batteries just do not last and require checking the level too often! On a G650GS getting to the battery is just...... well, stupid, checking the friggging water level is a chore. So, any recommendations for a maintenance free battery?

Registered
Quite a few here have tried a "Gel battery" try few faqs here should get more info.
On standard battery you shouldn't have to top very often unless it's over charging or drop the bike a lot 馃檮

Registered
I have a motobatt in my 96 funduro. It has lasted for 5 years now with no trouble.
The problem with the GS bikes is the battery is in a spot where it heats up with engine heat. From what I have read the inner cells tend to boil off electrolyte from the heat generated by the engine.
Many folk are having a good run with good quality lithium batteries.
here is a link to the Crossroadz site in OZ that has some good information that may help.
Pete
http://www.crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/BatteryRelocation.html

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite a few here have tried a "Gel battery" try few faqs here should get more info.
On standard battery you shouldn't have to top very often unless it's over charging or drop the bike a lot 馃檮
The issue is that I live in the Yucatan where it can get up to 40 degrees C. I just finished reading a reply about the location of the battery. I never thought of it but the battery location must have something to do with the water level issue. As pointed out in the article the center cells require more water. I have a Triumph Bonneville which of course has the battery on the side and have no issues at all its battery. Thanks for your input. I am going to replace the lead acid battery with a gel battery probably sooner than later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts