BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Saturday I got a g650gs from a dealership and rode probably not even 10miles and noticed I had no back brake so when I pulled into the garage and looked the back brake was beyond metal on metal. The dealership has picked it up and are repairing it but they keep saying I must of rode with my foot on the back brake for this to happen and they said It must of happened after the mot even though it passed the mot 2 days prior to me picking it up! Take a look at these picks and tell me I ain't thick!

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's got very hot and probably boiled the brake fluid causing air in the system and no brake. I don't know if the g650 and the f650 have the same brakes but it's not uncommon for the master cylinder on the f650 to hold the brakes on causing similar effects.
I'm surprised you didn't feel it holding back or smell the brakes burning.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Probably yes, master cylinder can stick on, usually when rubber protective boot wears letting in water , corrodes cylinder , piston sticks in on position. Replacing cylinder best option, unless light wear and you confident & able to repair. See FAQ's here, plenty of info inc repair. Pull back rubber boot if still got cylinder/bike. Of course you may have had foot on pedal all way home . .. . . . .. . ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's got very hot and probably boiled the brake fluid causing air in the system and no brake. I don't know if the g650 and the f650 have the same brakes but it's not uncommon for the master cylinder on the f650 to hold the brakes on causing similar effects.
I'm surprised you didn't feel it holding back or smell the brakes burning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just picked the bike up from the bike shop and went 10 miles up the motorway and noticed the lack of brakes. By the looks of it it had happened a while before that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to come to the party late , if you haven’t sorted the problem yet . The fault in my opinion
is with the motorcycle dealer as the vehicle is not fit for purpose and a seized piston would not wear the pads out within a 10 mile journey , Under the sales of goods act the law is on your side . Stand
your ground , There is no excuse from what I can see .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts