BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of interest, has anyone tried fitting the GS or CS alternator to a Funduro or ST? The Funduro/ST one is rated at 280w and the later one is spec'd at 400w so a useful upgrade, especially if running additional lighting?

I'm guessing the upgraded version was needed because of the ABS fitment on the later models?

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Out of interest, has anyone tried fitting the GS or CS alternator to a Funduro or ST? The Funduro/ST one is rated at 280w and the later one is spec'd at 400w so a useful upgrade, especially if running additional lighting?

I'm guessing the upgraded version was needed because of the ABS fitment on the later models?
Or possibly the Electronic Fuel Injection, or both.

Sorry, but I have not heard of such a conversion, but would be surprised if it had not been tried, and mentioned in the Chain Gang FAQs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And also the heated grips as they were an accesoiry for the GS.

Given the price of the parts on ebay it seems a reasonably cheap upgrade. From the pics I've seen the block connector is different but both have 3 yellow wires so I'm guessing the block connector can be swapped (seems also to be the same unit on other bikes such as the XRV Africa Twin Hondas.

I think heated grips were also a spec for the funduro and st too

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not being cheeky, but you are comparing the alternators and not the regulators?. The regulator may be a similar (and possibly interchangable) with those used on other bikes, but the alternator stator and the flywheel will be quite bespoke to the manufacturer and probably the bike and it will be these that limit the power output, not the regulator.

ZD

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The alternator. A company who makes pattern electrics for bikes shows the same unit for a number of bikes.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=BMW+F650&PR=-1&TB=A

the one at the top for instance shows as suitable for:
Honda: VF700C, VFR700, NR750, VF750, VFR750, VF1000F/F2, VF1000R, VF1100C V65
APRILIA: Pegaso 650 BMW: F650*

It's very common for parts to be swappable like this as manufacturers seek to drive down costs, bespoke parts are a lot rarer than you may think, I "think" the switch gear on the Funduro is the same as fitted to CBR600F's of the time as well.

I worked for Kawasaki in the 80's and had a K100RS, the starter motor brushes failed on it, turns out the starter motor was the same as the Kawasaki ones (Nippon Denso if I recall correctly) and the lads in the workshop popped a set of Kawasaki ones in for me :) Ancillary parts are sourced from various manufacturers and they will supply similar items to a few of the bike companies. Generally connectors may be different but they can be transferred over

The alternative one in the list from electrexworld shows as compat with

Fits:
HONDA: VLX400 Shadow, VT400C Shadow, VT500C Shadow, VT500E/FT, VLX600 Shadow, VT600C Shadow, XL600V Transalp, NX650 Dominator, XRV750 Africa Twin
SUZUKI:VS600/700/750/800 Intruder
YAMAHA:XZ550, SZR660, XV700, TDM850, XV1000 Virago, XV1100

XV750SE* Please check the measurments on your existing part as our generator may not fit
BMW:F650
MUZ:600 Scorpion

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Very often alternators and /or regulators can be used on other bikes but sometimes a spacer might be required to make things fit or a connector adapted slightly to make it fit. Designers like Rotax will also try to use existing electics to save money.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bow to your superior knowledge. I did think that these type of bits would be bespoke to the individual bike. If you find out if the "bigger" stator fits and works I would be interested in the same conversion.

ZD

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Like already mentioned Nippon denso make many electrical parts for many of the Japanese bikes and cars. And even the highter quality starter motors for my bike come from Japan also Nippondenso if I remember well.

·
Registered
X-reg Funduro
7 Posts
Reviving this thread, I have done some digging and some places are listing the same stator as fitting both the early Funduro/ST and the later GS/CS. This is something I am keen to figure this out as I am planning to fit some aux lights and a heated seat to my Funduro.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts