BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there have been a few threads about the ABS button mounted within a unit just in front of the handlebars on the 650 twin spark (if you have ABS).
I have a new button, it comes with about 400mm of cable and a 5/6 pin plug on the end. I have stripped out the old cable until the point where is disappears beneath the oil tank and frame on the left hand side, where presumably there is the other end of this plug? Anyone know approximately where it is and how much more of the bike I need to take apart to get to it? Assuming the old cable is the same length as the new one, the plug must be hidden under the oil tank somewhere.
FYI, the switch is a simple rocker affair, the old one had been battered by the previous owner including the soldered wires to the underside. It seems to me that the switch is never 100% perfect unless the contacts are good and there are no joints in the wiring leading up to it or breaks in the insulation.
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ABS switch now installed and working. The socket that the plug at the end of the ABS switch lead connects to is beside the relays just in front of and below the battery. Why BMW decided to hook this lead almost 360 degrees around the front of the bike and between places you can't thread it through is a mystery.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't know but best guess would be somewhere near the relay tray under the starter solenoid in front of the battery.
Takes a bit of work to get to. If not, I guess it would be around that general area above the engine/under the airbox.

Another option would be to leave the wiring and just swap the switches over - with a bit of soldering/heatshrink.
The original switch is probably soldered or crimped on.
Buzz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABS switch now installed and working. The socket that the plug at the end of the ABS switch lead connects to is beside the relays just in front of and below the battery. Why BMW decided to hook this lead almost 360 degrees around the front of the bike and between places you can't thread it through is a mystery.
Hi just joined the forum can I ask where did you get the switch, I need both for the crossbar mounting. Cheers Mick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts